Fawlty Towers Celebration - Connie Booth

I read in The Sun yesterday that there is to be a TV special made for a Fawlty Towers celebration. Something like 30 years since it ended or something.

Again, Connie Booth is not taking part. A bit like a few years back when she turned down the chance to join the rest of the cast in a Radio 4 special programme.

The more she rejects the chance to return to TV or radio and talk about FT, the more I find this intriguing, as I'm sure her, Cleese and the cast do get on. I guess she just wants to keep her distance, but if I had co-created and written probably the best British sitcom of all time, I'd be a part of it all.

Sounds like she's just being a bit of an old misery to me.

The only recent picture of her was back in 2002. She hadn't really changed.

I just find her/the situation a bit strange.

Lowering the tone here obviously but please take this in mucky isolation, would she be more Gilf than Milf now? She used to be a striking woman IMHO, funny ladies seem more attractive. Anyway, enough of my highbrow Hyperbole.

Maybe she doesn't want to be in the limelight at all now?

She's hardly Angelina Jolie, its not as if people would start to follow her wherever she went. It's just an interview.

I also read in the paper that they will be showing new footage that's never been shown.

Quote: Lord Meldrum @ March 6 2009, 12:39 PM GMT

She's hardly Angelina Jolie, its not as if people would start to follow her wherever she went. It's just an interview.

Yes, an interview she doesn't want to do. Which is fair enough. She doesn't owe us anything.

I mean, would you really want to talk about a job you did thirty years ago?!

I showed her how to use an English public telephone once in the early nineties, I think, whilst her ex husband and co-writer was across the room at a Robert McKee lecture!

Where did it all go wrong for me since.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ March 6 2009, 1:05 PM GMT

Yes, an interview she doesn't want to do. Which is fair enough. She doesn't owe us anything.

I mean, would you really want to talk about a job you did thirty years ago?!

There's a bit of a difference though between some office job you had thirty years ago, and being involved in the creation of one of the most beloved sitcoms of all time!

If I'd been involved I'd want to to talk about it!

The poor woman's probably sick to death of talking about Fawlty Towers/Cleese.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ March 6 2009, 1:16 PM GMT

The poor woman's.

Yeah, poor woman. (!) :D

Quote: Marc P @ March 6 2009, 1:07 PM GMT

I showed her how to use an English public telephone once in the early nineties, I think, whilst her ex husband and co-writer was aross the room at a Robert McKee lecture!

Where did it all go wrong for me since.

Says the popular crime novelist with thirty-odd copies of his novel floating around Essex libraries!

Quote: john lucas 101 @ March 6 2009, 1:16 PM GMT

The poor woman's probably sick to death of talking about Fawlty Towers/Cleese.

She can't be, as she hasn't spoken about it in public for years and years.

Quote: Marc P @ March 6 2009, 1:07 PM GMT

I showed her how to use an English public telephone once in the early nineties, I think, whilst her ex husband and co-writer was aross the room at a Robert McKee lecture!

Is this true or have I missed something?

Quote: Lord Meldrum @ March 6 2009, 12:39 PM GMT

No, but maybe she's had a breakdown or something or just wants to be left alone. Maybe she's fed up of blokes oggling her! :)