Galton & Simpson's Half Hour Page 2

They don't have to, but they blooming well should.

That was the only bit that stuck in my mind afterwards!
I wondered for ages if they actually do that or not.

I am disappointed to hear they don't. :(

They don't salute anymore for mainly road saftey reasons. Back in the day they all rode motorbikes and it was easier to salute. In the 1960s they moved to Mini vans where a) there was less room to salute, b) you'd be unlikely to see them do it anyway, and c) it's not deemed sensible to take hands off the wheel. Plus nobody displays an AA badge on the car anymore so they wouldn't know who to salute to.

Listened to the Blood Donor today. A big mistake to re-make such a well remembered episode, as I knew all the lines and obviously nobody is going to be able to make it as good as Hancock.
Quite a coincidence really, as I'm giving blood for the first time on Thursday. But I've got it planned, I'll lose a pint of blood, but about an hour later, I'll replace that pint with a pint of lager.

Agreed. I like Paul Merton, but he's maybe not the strongest actor in the world.
After listening to it I really wanted to watch the Hancock episode. So I guess that was a positive!
Don't have it though. :(

Those old scripts are really rooted in the past, you can't change them by adding a reference to Gordon Brown or Bill Gates; the feel and theme is different.
I listened to the blood donor earlier today too. Firstly I thought it was a bit cheeky of Paul Merton (a G&S fan) to install himself in The Blood Donor! Also its so famous now with its quotes, its like waiting for "A Handbag!?!" in The Importance of Being Earnest"!

Secondly I don't like Paul Merton trying to act; he's not a lot of cop.

But it was better than the Burt Reynolds one.

I have it as a free DVD from a paper ages back. It's a top episode, it's very nearly an armful of laughs.

I've got the LP! Originally the donor he compares himself to is Lord Nuffield... (look him up)..

Quote: Maurice Minor @ March 28 2009, 10:10 PM GMT

But it was better than the Burt Reynolds one.

Don't knock Mr Burt. ;)

I didn't hear this, but from seeing Merton in that (G&S) TV thing he did years ago I'm glad I didn't. As said before, he can't act.

That he can't. I'm not sure what he *can* do. He fits in HIGNFY, but I've not seen him do stand up for ages.

But as for G&S, the last new thing they did was that tuberculosis clinic sitcom thing. I'd be more impressed if they came out with a new play. The old ones are, well, old.

I saw him doing live improvised comedy recently, he was excellent. Maybe he should stick to his strengths!

Maybe.

As an aside I am now watching 12 Angry Men and keep expecting Henry Fonda to ask whether Magna Carta died in vain:)

Love that film.

10 vs 2 now.. quite a way to go.

As you say, Paul's strength doesn't lie in his acting. I think he gets involved in these because he was such a big fan, but I remember the "Paul Merton in Galton & Simpsons..." for the TV before, and they weren't that good.
I thought the first one of this new radio series (with Frank Skinner) was alright. But as you say, they are all so famous, that you can't help but compare them to the originals.
Paul has got strengths - he's one of the best improvisers there is. I quite like him on Have I Got News For You, but I get bored of his bored expression and the look like he can't be bothered to be there, but that's just part of his persona. Whenever I've seen him doing improv with the Players, he's totally different and definitely in his element. I always thought his stand up was pretty naff, but as part of a team doing improv, he's great - seeing him performing ballet is worth the ticket price alone!