Nerd/Boffin Technical corner. Page 83

Quote: billwill @ 23rd October 2013, 6:44 PM BST

, first I got rid of all surplus programs loaded at boot time, .../

When I look at closing some of the startup programmes, I'm always worried that I might close some critically important programme. Is this likely?

Here it is:

From Adobe Reader downwards they are probably all unticked already, that is fine.

Upwards you can safely untick them all, but I would leave Windows Defender & Avast Antivirus ticked so your computer is protected at start up.

Removing the tick means that particular program will not open in the background when you start the computer, when you do want to use that program all you need to do is find it and open it up. Removing the tick will not uninstall anything, it stops things from staring up that is all (although some things need to be open at start up you are fine)

Thanks, Carlos!

It's certainly possible, and unlikely to give any performance boost.

I have an iPod full if music

I have a stereo CD player thingy

I can play the stuff on my iPod via my stereo if I want to but I need to use a lead - annoying

Is there anyway I can do it without long annoying wires ?

So I can just pickup my iPod , select a song , and it starts playing through my stereo speakers?

Quote: lofthouse @ 1st December 2013, 12:22 PM GMT

I have an iPod full if music

I have a stereo CD player thingy

I can play the stuff on my iPod via my stereo if I want to but I need to use a lead - annoying

Is there anyway I can do it without long annoying wires ?

So I can just pickup my iPod , select a song , and it starts playing through my stereo speakers?

Bluetooth?

Or you can get a little FM radio transmitter for your iPod, I think< and then tune your FM radio (if you have one on your stereo CD player thingy) to the transmission.

Bluetooth

How would that work with my current stereo?

You would need a bluetooth adapter like this: http://www.belkin.com/uk/p/P-F8Z492/

Hmm interesting

Thanks H

Gets some pretty mixed reviews on amazon though

I've always found bluetooth to be next to useless unless you're within a couple of feet of the damn things anyway, so I just stick with my Bush mini speaker.

There's a few others on amazon that are half the price - yet get better reviews

You can get a half decent one for around a tenner

Thanks again

Quote: Harridan @ 1st December 2013, 2:55 PM GMT

You would need a bluetooth adapter like this: http://www.belkin.com/uk/p/P-F8Z492/

I just got an eSynic one off amazon

Only £10

Works great

Awesome

Cheers!

A shop I use are doing free ringtones / text alert messages so I got one.

Here http://www.teetshirts.com/MP3s/Yowv_gorra_msg_ahh_kid.mp3

Thing is, they don't tell me how to save that and make it into a message alert.

Any thoughts Chums?

In the olden days, you had a TV, with a video recorder; what sort of set-up would you have now? After years of bumbling along with an outdated DVD player, a Virgin box and an old hard-disc recorder, I've just got my first smart TV and was wondering what I should get to plug into it; my first thoughts are to get a Smart Blu-ray Player with Freeview HD Recorder(s), and make sure it has 4OD (since my Sony TV doesn't), but the reviews always pick up problems with these things, and I'm aware there's lots of other kit which might do the same job.

Thoughts?

It's a tough choice because if you pick up a combi player, you'll probably be sacrificing one feature over the other. Like a bluray with freeview, will just be tacked on, and not very functional.

In my opinion you'd be better off buying a cheap bluray player (if you only need to play and pause movies) and then get a dedicated freeview recorder. Go to Currys or somewhere you can get demonstrations because if you get stuck with a shit one, it'll really grind on you. I've had a few different boxes from budget to high end brands and they've all suffered from some sort of buggy menu system or lag. Read reviews online, lots of reviews.