New here - looking for help with writing

Hi there, I'm not a writer or anything, just a regular "Joe Bloggs" buta couple of years ago I had an original idea for a film. Well, one thing has led to another and I now find myself having to write a Treatment. It's a Drama Comedy but I really could do with some help or advice. Anyone? Many thanks Paul

Don't give your number out on the net, you'll have bloodsucking writers and harpies after you.

go to simplyscripts.com, there's a section on outlines & treatments for film.

Thanks

Are you looking for someone to write it with?

Possibly but it would involve signing a NDA plus I'd need to clear it with a major licensing party. Can I ask where abouts you're located?

You've obviously looked into it - NDA's and clearing with a major licensing party. (what's an NDA?).

I live South of London. Obviously subject matter has a bearing. What's it about - or don't you want to give that away yet?

Look at my "Hitmen for Hire" on "critiques". Opening scene from a sitcom what I wrote.

Quote: Trundler @ March 28, 2007, 10:47 AM

one thing has led to another and I now find myself having to write a Treatment.

without wishing to be overly rude (and I hope it's apparent I want to be at least slightly rude), but you say you're "not a writer or anything", although you now "have to write a treatment" di-dum like it's the end of the world.
My valued advice is to type "how do I write a Treatment" into Google or your search engine of choice. Then go off and write the bloody treatment. If you are being forced to write a treatment (ah, shame) then you can probably fugg off and do it yourself without further advice.
I now look forward to all the advice I am sent on the basis of this advice.

I think NDA is a non-disclosure agreement, David. That is the content can't be disclosed to third parties.

Trundler, most writers here would kill to be in the position you find yourself in. And not a writer to boot. So I can part understand Badge's frustration. You've been given a fantastic opportunity, something that writers struggle for, and often never get. Don't fritter it away or treat it as some rolling-a-rock-up-a-hill ordeal. Research the subject (as Badge advises), give it everything, and enjoy your privileged position. Us poor saps, The Slagg Brothers, can only dream.

Well, thanks for the replies. Badge, I really didn't mean to offend in any way - I apologise. I guess maybe my questions should be - what to avoid/include when writing a Treatment? Is font important? When mentioning characters should their names always be in upper case? etc.
As you suggest I'll try and get the info from other sites.
David, yes, NDA is a non-disclosure agreement. Have you had much in the way of success and how long have you been writing? Answer me in a PM if you'd prefer.

Quote: Trundler @ March 29, 2007, 10:47 AM

Is font important?

I believe that 12pt Courier is standard for movies, the old typewriter type face. I have always produced (movie) scripts in this, and then used it for synopsies etc for consistency. A lot of the samples for sitcoms I see are in Arial though.

Thanks Steve.

I wasn't offended - just grumpy. I'd just endured watching England play Andorra last night so my overall mood wasn't as jovial as it might have been. No need for your apology, but please accept mine. I guess I was meaning to say do your research first and then come back here for any more advice if you still need it - though as you've already picked up some advice from here I think I must have been wrong and you've done it the right way round.

I'm confusing myself here.

Anyway, good luck with the project.

Thanks Badge!

Does anyone here use a character questionnaire? If so, what kind of questions do you use? Thanks

Now I'm totally confused, Mate.

:)

The character question sheet is a tool that you use at the beginning of a project, not during the preparation of a treatment. Be careful you don't put the cart before the horse.

First, you start with the seminal idea. From this you develop a brief outline of the plot.

Then you need to populate your world with the characters necessary to drive the plot in their individual and totally unique way. For example, a Basil Fawlty will react in a different way to an insult than Ronnie Corbett's Timothy. Using one or the other as a lead character will result in two different stories developing. So your plot actually determines the characters needed to drive it forward. This is the point at which character development tools are needed. You use the character development tools to flesh them out and make them believable; as oppossed to 2-d cardboard cut-out Conan The Barbarian type creations.

Once this is settled and you can justify your characters reacting consistently enough to derive your desired story, you then produce a synopsis and from this (and your character notes) the treatment. Some suggest between 7-12 pages, some advise 1 treatment page for 2 script pages (120 page script = 60 page treatment)

Don't be tempted to rush this or bypass steps. You have a great opportunity, make it your best shot. You don't want to fail simply because you didn't have well-thought out characters or plot or because you weren't willing to invest time in that stage of the process.

Here's wikipedia's entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_treatment

Here's a sample treatment from a bloody awful Halloween film: http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:UGN0PIp_oN4J:www.writingtreatments.com/HALLOWEEN.pdf+film+treatment&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=uk

Here's another example giving font examples and layout: http://www.authorsden.com/visit/viewarticle.asp?AuthorID=1272&id=5327

Hope that helps.

Nice to have you onboard the forums, by the way.

I guessed NDA was something along those lines although didn't know specifically what.

So what's your next step?