RIP Wally Stott/Angela Morley

Another face in British comedy has died recently. Last week, Angela Morley, leading light musician, composer, arranger and conductor died. Morley however, will best be known in British comedy as Mr. Wally Stott, the music producer for The Goon Show and Hancock's Half Hour.

In 1972, Stott underwent a sex change operation, or a sex-rectifying operation as it was known at the time. When the BBC ordered The Last Goon Show of All, Morley decided not to appear on it because she had not gone public about her operation. Other than the Goons and Hancock, Morley wrote scores for Dallas, Dynasty and Watership Down. She also got two Oscar nominations, for her work on the films The Little Prince (1974) and The Slipper and the Rose (1976).

So, RIP Wally/Angela - or not dead, just deaded.

Obituary in The Guardian

Wow, and you think you know someone...

Bill Kerr and Galton & Simpson are about all that's left of Hancock now and nothing of the Goons. How sad is that???

RIP. Not sure about a "face" of British comedy, mind. ;)

Quote: Tuumble @ January 23 2009, 4:13 PM GMT

Wow, and you think you know someone...

Bill Kerr and Galton & Simpson are about all that's left of Hancock now and nothing of the Goons. How sad is that???

That's not quite true concerning the Goons. Eric Sykes who wrote some of the episodes are still alive.

Although not a major contibutor to the Goons, part-time writer and Spike-sufferer John Antrobus is still with us.

I was a little sweeping I guess but then I didn't know Eric did any of the writing. I'm learning a lot today.

Quote: Tuumble @ January 23 2009, 5:39 PM GMT

I'm learning a lot today.

The hat goes on the head.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ January 23 2009, 4:25 PM GMT

Eric Sykes who wrote some of the episodes are still alive.

Are he?

;)

Quote: Aaron @ January 23 2009, 4:16 PM GMT

RIP. Not sure about a "face" of British comedy, mind. ;)

It's an interesting one as if you watch the last couple of series of Hancock's Half Hour, when credited, it actually shows a picture of Wally, quite an achievement, I don't even think the late great Hazelhurst managed it.