I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,748

I'm not even sure it is trying to be that. From most of the presenters bar the actual politicians you'll find a lot of it's quite tongue in cheek and they're aware what they say's quite rich, given how cavalier some Torys are, mainly Boris. The more seriously taken right wing political stance on huge talking point matters like immigration and its effects on us is simply following the public line that led to the vote to leave the EU, whether it's had the desired effect or not.

It's obviously been inspired by US Fox News that proved there's a market for this sort of prog. There is nothing at all stopping someone starting a left wing news discussion prog, maybe Corbyn should be a bit more entrepreneurial rather than growing cabbages on his allotment.

[quote name="Alfred J Kipper" post="1277223" date="12th February 2024, 7:53 AM"]
It's obviously been inspired by US Fox News that proved there's a market for this sort of prog. /quote]
With disastrous consequences. Now nobody in the US can rely on their TV news to tell the truth anymore. Hence why the US is now in a complete mess. We must fight to stop the UK going the same way !

The same Fox News that had to pay nearly a billion dollars in an out of court settlement when they lied to their viewers about the 2020 election being rigged against the Republicans?

Yes we need more of that bullshit in our country please

Someone came up with the term 'anger-tainment' to describe what Fox News puts out.
GBNews are in the same mould.
Their actual viewership is minuscule - they'll never make any money - but their Social Media posts, and that of their presenters, get a lot of traction.
And you only have to read the comments on these threads to see the kind of dangerous sentiments they're stirring up.
It's specifically designed to engender the kind of division their backers want to see in society - a society easier to push to extremes to create the kind of political landscape that suits these free-market zealots.
Ironically it's the kind of political landscape that most certainly won't suit their ardent viewers - but twas ever thus.

What do you call someone who hates Valentine's Day? Single.

Your daily reminder that the plan is working and the economy is buoyant and you just think, mistakenly, that you cant afford to pay your bills or mortgage etc

Rishi's wife received dividends of £13 million in the last financial year from infosys. That's just dividends.

See? Everything is rosy

Stop f**kin moaning , we've never had it so good

P.s. "One-in-three families in the country have less than £1,000 in savings - which left many people exposed during the cost of living crisis - while around 13 million individuals aren't saving enough for an adequate income in retirement"

It has always been so.
Is it the communist in you that hates people making money?

I don't take too kindly being told that the 'plan' is working and everything is dandy, by a man who's wife earned THIRTEEN MILLION POUNDS in dividends alone last year

Especially as the 'plan' is far from working ...

"Analysts expect official data on Thursday to show the economy shrank by 0.1pc in the final quarter of 2023. It would mark the second consecutive contraction, meaning the UK has fallen into a recession for the first time since the start of the pandemic."

Is it the idiot in you that can't see the insanity of being told by a multi millionaire that everything is just groovy?

Clearly as someone who is able to spend hundreds of pounds on a pub lunch, it doesn't effect you, which is why you don't give a stuff

I do.

Quote: lofthouse @ 12th February 2024, 3:20 PM

"One-in-three families in the country have less than £1,000 in saving""

I'd reckon that holds true for 95% or more of the planet. Doubtful that it can be blamed on a particular political party.

Quote: lofthouse @ 12th February 2024, 10:23 PM

Clearly as someone who is able to spend hundreds of pounds on a pub lunch, it doesn't effect you, which is why you don't give a stuff

"Affect".
I'll probably spend $700+ on a lunch with my family in Florida this Friday, but I'm far from rich. I'm not sure how I'll be able to retire, but I won't stop enjoying my time with my family whenever the opportunity arises.

I wonder which U-turn Sir Kier will make today? They're coming thick and fast.
His middle name is Rodney - what a plonker.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 13th February 2024, 7:48 AM

coming thick and fast.

Don't encourage me.

Yeah any other leader and Labour would be about 25% ahead

Oh wait....

Lowest Conservative % since Sunak became PM. Just two points above lowest under Truss.

Westminster VI (11 Feb):

Labour 46% (+1
Conservative 21% (-3)
Reform UK 12% (-)
Liberal Democrat 11% (+2)
Green 5% (+1)
SNP 3% (-)
Other 2% (-)

Changes +/- 4 Feb

I'm hearing rumours that a new series of six Alan Partridge episodes is going to be on the BBC later this year. Alan has just returned from a year in Saudi Arabia.

Jurassic Park

Odd how so many of Keir Starmer's critics seem incapable of spelling his name.
Rishi Sunak (UK PM, 2022-24) never seems to have this problem!