I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,423

Quote: Lazzard @ 23rd January 2014, 12:35 PM GMT

That was just not an issue for my parents - neither was the concept of suicide websites.
Our generation of parent's are the first who've had to deal with the internet - it's a steep learning curve, and I think we're entitled to feel concerned.

As a parent, you must realise that as try as you might, you can't shield your child from every evil in the world all of the time.

Because my humour is sometimes too subtle (never thought I'd write that), I was mocking the tone of the article, the panicky, sky is falling, everyone's child is going to throw themselves in front of a train because of the Internet, hysterical bullshit that is being pumped out to sell newspapers to a nervous public.

Fear is a great motivator and in my day it was devil worship, comic books, heavy metal, video nastys, violent computer games, etc., etc. The girl who threw herself in front of the 7.39 didn't do so because of the Internet, she did so because she had a mental illness. The parents either didn't see that their daughter had this illness or refused to admit to themselves that something was wrong. Foisting the blame upon the Internet shifts the responsibility from their parenting skills to a faceless entity, as people have done so in the past before the Internet.

By all means feel concerned and even monitor your child's Internet activity, just don't buy into the fear mongering purported by the media establishment who've lost huge profits to the Internet.

Let's not forget how we are all being played - this story is big news because it features a pretty young white girl who died tragically. We love this kind of stuff, it speaks to our sickeningly morbid curiosity and need for salacious moral fables - obviously we prefer the ones where the young pretty white girl is kidnapped, raped and then murdered - but really, any dead young pretty white girl is fair game for publicity. If there is no physical bogeyman to attach blame, then go for the next best thing.

I'm no fan of the media, believe me - and I agree they love a good tragedy and want to keep us scared.
(My definition of a journalist is someone who, when he hears a fire-engine, secretly hopes it's an orphanage!)
BUT I think you can blame (not solely - or even as a root cause) the internet for a lot of things.
Figures for self-harming are soaring - the latest figure I could find was a 44% rise in the decade to 2011 (The Independent).
I would hazard a guess it's higher by now.
Even the very act of giving something a name fuels the fire.
Now, that's OK with milk allergies and gluten intolerance - but sticking blades in yourself...
It's a bit like gun law - the more guns that there are around the more people get shot.

I know I didn't decide to have a milk intolerance until I read about how fun it was in the paper.

You're just prejudiced Zooo

Quote: zooo @ 23rd January 2014, 3:00 PM GMT

I know I didn't decide to have a milk intolerance until I read about how fun it was in the paper.

Sorry, I knew that would wind some-one up.

I'm sure lots of people have various intolerances - and it must be really shitty.
I also believe some - just some - people quite like belonging to a club.

Present company excepted of course.

Ha, I'll let you off then. ;)

Quote: Lazzard @ 23rd January 2014, 2:54 PM GMT

Figures for self-harming are soaring - the latest figure I could find was a 44% rise in the decade to 2011 (The Independent).

It's still a bit 'chicken and egg' in my view - the constant media saturation of attractive celebrities, consumerism and unrealistic aspirational goals aimed at the youth market to sell them products is probably the root cause for people self harming and wanting to kill themselves - disregarding any actual clinical reasons such as chemical imbalances in the brain.

These websites have sprung up to deal with the fallout, plus we live in a culture that now recognises self harm. Unfortunately, we also live in a culture that encourages or even glamorises certain negative behaviours. If we called 'Eating Disorders' by their real name 'Mental Disorders', the attached stigma might halt the flow a little - unlikely, but it might.

People committed suicide before the Internet, so much so that the Catholic church made it a sin thousands of years ago. It's the same with people blaming the Internet for radicalisation - yeah, it's not exactly a new phenomenon.

Quote: Lazzard @ 23rd January 2014, 2:54 PM GMT

Always happens in a recession.

Check out the cheesy mugshot:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/news/a546116/justin-bieber-arrested-in-miami-on-suspicion-of-dui-drag-racing.html

I know when we are young and stupid we fancy idiots. I get that JB isn't breaking down my front door in lust and would probably find me as distasteful as I do him.

But I fail to find a single attractive redeeming feature in this specimen. Not one. Well, maybe his money. But there definitely isn't two.

He is an utter prick.
Even when I was 12 I never fancied anyone as dumb or foetal-looking as him.

Quote: Jennie @ 23rd January 2014, 7:31 PM GMT

But I fail to find a single attractive redeeming feature in this specimen. Not one. Well, maybe his money. But there definitely isn't two.

He can fit in your purse, so quite convenient when you're out and about?

My 7 year old niece and her friends dumped Bieber months ago, it's all One Direction these days. No wonder he wants to retire.

So maybe he knows it's all coming to an end and is enjoying his fame and wealth before it all collapses into a pile of ashes.

Or he am a twat.

Quote: Jennie @ 23rd January 2014, 7:31 PM GMT

Check out the cheesy mugshot:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/news/a546116/justin-bieber-arrested-in-miami-on-suspicion-of-dui-drag-racing.html

I know when we are young and stupid we fancy idiots. I get that JB isn't breaking down my front door in lust and would probably find me as distasteful as I do him.

Hey you said you liked hobbits in another post

I pity Beiber rather than hate him, he's still only a teenager and he's had far too much of everything. Maybe he'll end up as another Britney.

His parents and employers should definitely be doing a better job.

(But he's still a prick.)

Quote: zooo @ 23rd January 2014, 3:00 PM GMT

Wonder if any of sootyj's pre-school reading books had a picture of a slightly malevolent looking zebra?