Writing exercise

Just wanted to share a new writing technique that I've found works wonders for me.

I have written my sitcom out as a drama (both in story and script form). Jokes are banned. It is not allowed to be even remotely funny. And I've seen some really surprising results:

1)As there isn't anything covering the plot holes, they are easy to identify and rectify.

2)Because the pressure to 'write funny' is off, I have started thinking of jokes automatically. My brain is doing what it knows it shouldn't.

Anyway, as it was so helpful for me I thought I'd share. Anyone else got any writing exercise tips?

That wouldn't work for me Jennie as I don't really tell jokes I put the humour in the dialogue and in the actions and settings.
If I had a tip it would be to think of a really stupid situation and make it come to life with realistic dialogue.

I think that's a pretty sound technique Jennie.

One of the main problems I see in stuff new writers (myself included) produce isn't in the characters or jokes, but static scenes and a lack of story, or improbable scenes and weak story.

What an ingenious idea, Jennie. I might try it some time.

I don't get the system to be honest I'm not doubting it works it's just that I prefer to go for pure comedy than comedy/drama, as I see the two as being completely separate.

I disagree Teddy - I think sitcom is funny drama. Good sitcom has a strong narrative, esculating tension and an unexpected resolution.

The comedy can only arise when these key building blocks are in place.

I think it's like a car - character is the engine, the plot the chassis and the comedy the fancy paintwork.

The only real difference is the subject - drama might deal with someone's death whereas comedy deals with who puts the kettle on.

But they are still stories. I think poor sitcom is made when this is overlooked and ignored, in favour of the comedy. The comedy is severely weakened as a result.

Sketches are short stories. Stand ups tell stories. Humans want to hear stories.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one Jennie, I only write sketches because my sitcoms are unsolicited and thus go unread, so I put sketches up on here to try and get noticed and to learn from my mistakes.

But on the sitcom front I have a high comedy content with minimum drama and I think they are the funniest things I have ever written or ever will.

I follow the Seinfeld code of no caring or learning and no sentiment, just realistic comedy, as I see comedy as escapism coupled with entertainment, not as drama.

I would expect more will agree with your view, but for me comedy first and any drama is a by product.

Jennie is right to my mind. Story is everything. Seinfeld are all very well crafted stories. Funny. Very funny. But it is the narrative that makes it work. Much like Curb of course.

No need for anyone to be right or wrong on this one Marc it's just different outlooks, I find far far too many shows of the piss poor stuff we see is over reliant on drama and it dilutes the comedy.

It's just a matter of taste to be honest, basic plots strong on comedy for me all day.

If you have ever seen Dr Hugo Z Hackenbush being warned by Tony & Stuffy that he is being set up, you will see that the conversation is within earshot of the woman trying to set him up and she acts oblivious and that's pure comedy with no acknowledgement to drama whatsoever sadly that never happens anymore and it's our loss.

As for Seinfeld the art is in the situation, but the situation was created by first thinking of the comedy and it shows in every episode.
By the last series it was the best I have ever seen and it WAS created comedy first and the plot is the vehicle and that's the difference between basic models and custom builds.

Problem is Teddy, I am struggling to think of a single example of a sitcom, British or American, that does not have a finely crafted story at the heart of every episode.

Seinfeld's "no hugging, no learning" rule was about the lack of sentimentality and character development. As Marc says, there was a story every week.

I think you are right when you say that plot is a vehicle for comedy. Comedy is the beautiful girl lounging in the passenger seat of the open top sports car. But that car, or the plot, has to be moving. If it is stationary - she just looks like an idiot sitting in a car.

Same for comedy. Story first, then let the comedy shine.

Quote: Jennie @ June 27 2013, 6:11 PM BST

Jokes are banned.

(Insert name here) uses this technique...

Jennie no one is saying there should be an absence of plot, it's about how its constructed and the style used.

You say you write a drama and add jokes I write funny dialogue and add the plot around it, that's all kid.

If everyone was the same life would be really bland so celebrate your difference and enjoy your writing in whatever style suits.

One question Jennie - what do you do with the jokes that come to you? Stick them in a separate notebook for insertion into the script later on?

One of the writers on the Birds of a Feather team used exactly that technique.

It's all good Teddy - you were just saying you didn't get the system because you see comedy and drama as separate, and I was explaining why I think you cannot have one without the other. But as you say, we are all different.

For me, this isn't a draft 1 exercise - I am now on draft 10. I wish I'd used it slightly earlier. I have realised that there are a couple of scenes that I love and think are very funny, but just don't work in the context of the plot. My character just wouldn't do that. It's not truthful. So however amusing it is, it has to go.

I think it was David Mitchell who said that the art of writing is to be able to throw out really funny stuff if necessary.

Frantically, I have a notebook next to my laptop for absolutely anything that comes into my head that doesn't belong in whatever I'm writing. It's actually got three columns:

Things that should be in - ideas and jokes that have occurred to me

Things that should be out - this helps with my inner critic. Rather than trying to deal with my own criticisms on the spot (and thus never writing anything) I write down the critique "too wordy" "not funny" etc.

Other stuff - I need to buy washing up liquid. Just to stop me getting distracted with life.

So yes - anything I think of would go in the first column. I have written the script by using on the nose dialogue. I have found this gets my character motivations clear in my head, but actually produces some surprisingly funny stuff. Often lines are funniest when they speak the truth in an inappropriate context.

Michael, if it is good enough for Birds of a Feather, it's good enough for me!

Anyway, that's the way I am doing it. But I am very new to the whole game too, this is my first script.