My Hero: Hugh Dennis On Ronnie Barker Page 2

Quote: Dave @ May 27 2013, 11:19 AM BST

That Punt and Dennis sketch of Porridge looked great. I can't seem to find it anywhere, though. It's not on YouTube.

Yes that did look good I thought that.

:) can anyone help with a music clip - about 27mins into the prog there is a big band playing "Careless Love". Does anyone know this recording or big band?
I've searched but with no luck so far.
Thanks

Why wasn't Joy Barker interviewed? Or Ronnie C?

Quote: Tim Azure @ May 27 2013, 4:36 PM BST

Why wasn't Joy Barker interviewed? Or Ronnie C?

I thought that, maybe they were busy or opted out.

I found the references to Ronnie Barker's interest in saucy postcards, etc a bit disturbing.

Firstly the the feigned shock - his interest has always been well known (particularly, surely, if the subject is the presenter's "hero"). And, secondly, no attempt was made to explain his interest - just leaving viewers with the suggestion that it was all a bit odd.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ May 27 2013, 10:02 PM BST

I found the references to Ronnie Barker's interest in saucy postcards, etc a bit disturbing.

Firstly the the feigned shock - his interest has always been well known (particularly, surely, if the subject is the presenter's "hero"). And, secondly, no attempt was made to explain his interest - just leaving viewers with the suggestion that it was all a bit odd.

Most of the information he was given was like this, despite him clearly reading Ronnie's autobiography at one point. S'pose it's a way to present the information.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ May 27 2013, 10:02 PM BST

Firstly the the feigned shock - his interest has always been well known (particularly, surely, if the subject is the presenter's "hero").

Pretty much every documentary or factual segment in a programme is like this. Difference here is we are comedy geeks who knew already, as Hugh undoubtedly would have done, so it sticks out like a sore thumb when they're "explaining" something. To the average viewer, it is new information.

Quote: Dave @ May 27 2013, 11:19 AM BST

That Punt and Dennis sketch of Porridge looked great. I can't seem to find it anywhere, though. It's not on YouTube.

It's there. From series 1, ep5 (The Law & Crime Experience). About 4.55 in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CL3TybdJRU

I tuned out after the first mention of Footlights.

About four minutes in, iirc.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ May 28 2013, 8:27 AM BST

I tuned out after the first mention of Footlights.

About four minutes in, iirc.

Make a stand, Kevin!

Don't watch any programme that mentions Footlights!

Or any thread.

Quote: Tim Azure @ May 28 2013, 10:35 AM BST

Make a stand, Kevin!

Don't watch any programme that mentions Footlights!

Or any thread.

Not a principles thing, I just find it boring and depressing.

Almost every TV documentary about venerable British comedians has an obligatory section on their time in Footlights.

Barker wasn't in Footlights, but they managed to get five minutes out of how marvellous it is anyway.

Pff.

How could you not mention Footlights, Frost and Cleese played an integral part in his career

Quote: Pingl @ May 28 2013, 2:22 PM BST

How could you not mention Footlights, Frost and Cleese played an integral part in his career

I agree. It was very important and needed to be mentioned.

Quote: Aaron @ May 28 2013, 12:49 AM BST

Pretty much every documentary or factual segment in a programme is like this. Difference here is we are comedy geeks who knew already, as Hugh undoubtedly would have done, so it sticks out like a sore thumb when they're "explaining" something. To the average viewer, it is new information.

Yes, but I got the impression, rightly or wrongly, that they were trying to convey to the viewer that his interest in postcards of "bathing beauties" & "naked ladies" was all a bit odd (film editor Ray Millichip, to whom Hugh Dennis spoke, actually said he thought he shouldn't have published the book on the subject and that it was in "bad taste" and Dennis himself, while speaking to the curator of the cartoon museum, kept mentioning the "naked ladies" and referred to it as feeling "a bit strange"). Rather bizarre inferences to make in the current climate I thought.