Comedy Writing and Depression

I'm sure we all get a bit down about the writing sometimes, so here is a good blog from Ken Levine about the more serious side of comedy writing: http://kenlevine.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/coping-with-comedy-writer-depression.html

Dan

Brilliant blog, but shitthat's how you feel when you're massively succesful?

Ouch no hope for me.

WHO ASKED YOU, ANYWAY!

Teary Laughing out loud Teary Teary

Good blog, thanks Dan.

As for people getting depression from comedy, isn't it far more likely that comedy attracts the depressive, at least in the majority of cases? Suicide is a very extreme response to any situation, let alone a bad reading of Mr Ed, so I expect that Drake Sather must have had a pre-existing mental illness. There was certainly other stuff going on, like a bad marriage, so you can't blame it all on the comedy.

Nine out of every ten clowns suffer from irrational thoughts of murder, the other one is a convicted killer!

The people who shield these fiends will go to great lengths by leaving towns in the dead of night using muffled elephants instead of engines and by posting dwarfs as lookouts.
And who is doing anything about it? Absolutely f**king no one!

http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/default/files/styles/image_content_width/hash/0d/12/0d128563e2ed100567a033c36897f5a3.jpg

John Wayne Gacy is idolised by all clowns especially the unemployed ones who spend their benefits on cannabis and cans of wife beating lager.

It makes my blood boil, they get fifty grand a week in housing benefit and they only live in tents!

I think its about time that all foreign clowns were deported and any UK ones should be made to work for their handouts.

Was Maggie Thatcher murdered for nothing?

'Comedy is the blues for people who can't sing'

Jinky what if:

'You can't sing and you're not funny either and instead of being depressed you're actually depressing other people?'

This is not my opinion it is a cut and paste from my latest response from TV production companies

Jinky -Great line. consider it nicked and already wrapped around a beat poem dedicated to Chubby Leadbetter Brown

Writing comedy is fun until you get good at it. The rejections hurt more. I know quite a few comedy writers who are - or have been - treated for depression. It just seems to come with the territory. The trick is to half-expect failure I think. If you fully-expect success you'll be gutted pretty much all of the time. If you fully expect failure, you won't even bother. So finding somewhere inbetween is probably the safest route to good mental health.

I agree, but in many cases it is not depression.
There is a degree anger if you are convinced that what you have is better than whats on show and there is apathy because you know that outside of pure luck everything else is contact based.
Its a mixture of emotions and then main one I often feel is that its not fair, but that's not really depression its self pity and that can feel like depression.

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ April 18 2013, 2:48 PM BST

I agree, but in many cases it is not depression.
There is a degree anger if you are convinced that what you have is better than whats on show and there is apathy because you know that outside of pure luck everything else is contact based.
Its a mixture of emotions and then main one I often feel is that its not fair, but that's not really depression its self pity and that can feel like depression.

The only answer is to make your own luck and contacts by constantly putting yourself out there, almost to the point of being a pain in the arse. It is the ONLY way to move your stuff nearer the top of the reading pile. I got my first 'break' when I went to a BBC scriptwriting workshop in Leicester. At the end of the day I literally forced a hard copy sitcom script into the speaker's hand and begged her to read the first few pages. She didn't seem keen but she didn't say no either. A week later I got a call from another producer she'd shown the script to who was looking for writers on a new sketch show. So I suppose you could call that luck and being in the right place at the right time, but it also required action on my part. Actually buying a train ticket to Leicester, having a finished script, getting it in the hands of a producer etc.

Sorry, bit of a threadjack I know but I really do feel the "luck" factor is a bit of a myth. To roll a double six you have to chuck the die a lot of times. :)

To roll a double six you would need to chuck the dice.

He did say chuck it a lot of times, that's at least two.
So in a way he's still wrong