First gig feedback -what does it mean?!

Hi all,
I did my first "gig" in two years last night. I saw gig, it was an after dinner comedy talk thing at my local hockey club that I play for. I did this at the same dinner two years ago and then, it went quite well.

This year, not so good. I did the usual hockey club politics jokes that only they would understand (the club subscriptions being too expensive, the fact we don't have a pitch on site etc etc ) and they went down well, although they were met with applause rather than raucous laughter.

I moved on to a couple of other topics (I'm a doctor, used to be a gynaecologist) so talked about some non specific medical things (rediculous tattoos I've seen, having to decapitate the play boy bunny with a scalpel to do a caesarean') and a small bit on the awful words I've heard patients use to describe their genitals (Mary anyone?!) and ended it there.

Whilst everyone was laughing in the right places, the comments afterward s included:

Good but only in places.
Don't give up your day job
Started well but you're better than genital jokes

And in general I just don't feel people were as forthcoming to say well done as they were two years ago. It's a weird mismatch where during the gig people were laughing, but being a bit scathing afterwards, and that mismatch messes with my mind.....

Am I over analysing this?!

Are you over analysing this? Maybe but heres my analysis...

You started of doing the usual club jokes... if this is an annual event then maybe the are tired of hearing the same "in" jokes year on year.

You then moved on to jokes specific to your former area of work... whilst these may be hilarious to other Doctors and Gynacewhatsits they may not be as funny as you expected to people outwith the profession.

I wouldnt worry too much about it either way, you got up there, did it and people laughed. It takes balls to do that so well done.

You can now use the experience to develop your act.