The journey of a script

Hi all.

I'd really like to know what happens to a successfully submitted (unsolicited) script, in a sort of bottom to top way.

If we take out the part of an agent, and a script was to be sent to a production company, who would read it first, as in their job title, and where would it go next and so on and so forth?

Thanks

brynne

Goodness knows!

Quote: brynne @ March 20 2013, 4:59 PM GMT

Hi all.

I'd really like to know what happens to a successfully submitted (unsolicited) script, in a sort of bottom to top way.

If we take out the part of an agent, and a script was to be sent to a production company, who would read it first, as in their job title, and where would it go next and so on and so forth?

Thanks

brynne

No one is going to bull you here mate. Its very difficult to get an "unsolicited" script read by anybody. But the way I understand is, it would probably go to the reader, then if that goes well I suppose it would go to the editor, then if that is all successful I suppose it would go through the three main elements, Pre-production, production, post-production.

There's a lot more to it than that, but that's the basic short and curly's of it.

No idea about successful scripts but all of mine have gone Desk--Bin.

(If that. Probably Postbag--Receptionist's Thumb and Index Finger--Bin)

From my own experience, someone titled something along the lines of 'Development Producer', or maybe just plain old 'producer', would read it. If liked, you'd go in, talk about it, if they were still keen you'd probably do a few drafts based on their notes, then they'd show it to someone above them. If it's given the thumbs up, you'll probably continue getting notes and draft and redraft and on and on and then eventually, if they think the outcome stands a chance of getting considered somewhere, they'll show someone at a channel. If they like it, there will probably be more notes, more drafts, more notes, and then who knows what because that's as far as I've got.

Quote: brynne @ March 20 2013, 4:59 PM GMT

Hi all.

I'd really like to know what happens to a successfully submitted (unsolicited) script,

Before sending it to someone, you'd contact them and ask if you can forward them a script. If they say yes, it's no longer unsolicited.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 21 2013, 1:28 PM GMT

If they say yes, it's no longer unsolicited.

As you once told the arresting officer......

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 21 2013, 1:28 PM GMT

From my own experience, someone titled something along the lines of 'Development Producer', or maybe just plain old 'producer', would read it. If liked, you'd go in, talk about it, if they were still keen you'd probably do a few drafts based on their notes, then they'd show it to someone above them. If it's given the thumbs up, you'll probably continue getting notes and draft and redraft and on and on and then eventually, if they think the outcome stands a chance of getting considered somewhere, they'll show someone at a channel. If they like it, there will probably be more notes, more drafts, more notes, and then who knows what because that's as far as I've got.

What he said.
But with more notes and re-writes.

Cheers everyone. I'm under no illusions as to the likelihood of it getting read, but was just wanting to know what the process might be. Please bear with me as there will probably be a few more strange posts like this - I have my reasons ;-)