Heading Out Page 4

Quote: Aaron @ March 5 2013, 11:24 PM GMT

How did they get Justine (I had to look the character's name up) out of The Birdie Song, not once but twice, and yet still not know how to do it? I've seen embarrassing hynopsis subplots in many sitcoms, but never as poorly executed as that. It didn't make sense within itself.

It was the fact such an old sitcom cliche was so freely used that baffled me. So many cliches used, this, the whacky life coach, the hearing the truth while in the lavvy, the other bird mistaking her relationship with mad dog woman. It seems like she's so busy with other work on the go that she hasn't had the time to do justice to the sitcom form, or even really, let's be honest, come up with her own material, so she's thrown all the cliches she can gather into a bag, shaken it up and poured out the contents for each episode, on the kitchen table, while she's eating toast and reading her latest panel show lines.
Teary
There was enough for a whole series there, Sue, slow down, that episode was nuts! And this is where I think she's possibly just given in to her comedy influences - Green Wing in particular, (it might as well be called Green Wing, The Vets) and then there was yet more of The Office type banter, sad face. She's going way too much for style and forgetting about building a coherent little story on its own each time. See TM's post. It was jump jump jump to next scene with no lineage. It was strangely entertaining, but not for the right reasons!

It's not all bad though as I like the title music. But still...

Quite enjoying this but wasn't pretty much the whole of the paintballing scene a rip off of the same scene in "Spaced"? Even down to the stylised death scene and the "NOOOOOOOO!!!" scream?

Woeful, woeful viewing figures.

Episode 1 attracted 1.7 m to BBC Two. Episode 2 got just 683,000.

I watched the first episode. It was dire in so many ways that I'm getting anxious just thinking about it, but just to pick one point, who thought Britney Spears and the Nigerian email scam were cutting up to date references for 2013?

Quote: Tony Cowards @ March 6 2013, 10:31 AM GMT

Quite enjoying this but wasn't pretty much the whole of the paintballing scene a rip off of the same scene in "Spaced"? Even down to the stylised death scene and the "NOOOOOOOO!!!" scream?

That's just worrying. And on BBC Two!

It all went a bit crazy this episode. Too many different styles and an incoherent plot. The potential relationship between Sue and her romantic interest is good and could be interesting but it's been crowded out by a load of mismatched comic threads.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ March 5 2013, 11:49 PM GMT

Because a premise of a lesbian on a journey to 'out herself' is I'd say not typically made for a core of male viewers in mind as much as for women.

Can't we just all be people and be interested in each other's life experiences? You don't hear many women saying they won't watch Peep Show or The Thick Of It because it's aimed at men.

Quote: Aaron @ March 6 2013, 10:52 AM GMT

Yipes. Not only won't it get a second series, but it might even end up bounced out of its present slot before its run is over.

Quote: Aaron @ March 6 2013, 10:52 AM GMT

I'm not surprised. People have realised what tripe this is and have decided not to watch again!

Quote: Tony Cowards @ March 6 2013, 10:31 AM GMT

Oh, was that some sort of reference I was supposed to spot? I couldn't make any sense of it, or even tell who the people were, so once it slowed down and went all Sam Peckinpah I went and made a cup of tea.

I must say, if sue Perkins wasn't a recognised face I don't think this pile of knob wash would have seen the light of day.

That said, my two oldest daughters seem to like it. Damn it!

It would be worth drawing up some sort of gazetteer of Sue Perkins' cultural landscape.

So far we've had The Birdie Song (1981), There's Something About Mary (1998) and what may or may not have been the slow-mo shootings most associated with Sam Peckinpah's work in The Wild Bunch (1969).

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to find a single element in the programme which shows it's been made in the 21st century.

After I watched the first episode, I was as unimpressed as most people here seem to be. I talked to a few of my light entertainment/sitcom fan friends and they all seemed to think it was drivel; but when I looked at the newspaper reviews (all broadsheet) they ranged to hopefully positive to fulsome praise.

It's clunky in that it doesn't seem to know what kind of style or tone it wants to take. Each actor seems to think they're in a different kind of show (with Joanna Scanlan appearing to believe that she's on CBBC*, which hurts me, because I love Sister Den Flixter). It seems to be going for opening with some feline shocker each week - dead cat, 'Something about Mary' unneutered tom cat semen in fringe - but so far, neither of them have been funny.

I think my main issue is that I can't warm to the central character and I don't really care what happens to her, or her friends. And if I can watch two whole episodes without even cracking a smile, or being a little amused or charmed, then it's not working for me.

Oh, and Paintballing in sitcoms - how often has that been done now? Without even trying, I can think of Big Bang and Spaced. If Sue Perkins falls off a treadmill in a gym full of lycra clad fitness Nazis in any future episode, I should win 50p.

* CBBC comedy is often excellent - I am not denigrating it here, just so you know.

Scheduler 1
Hey boss, we've got some new comedy series debuting this week.

Scheduler Boss
Thank f**k, there's nothing else on now we"ve cancelled all these old programmes.

Scheduler 1
Thought you'd like it. When shall we put them on?

Scheduler Boss
Pfft Ten o'clock on a Tuesday?

Scheduler 1
But I always watch Alexander Armstrong's Big Ask at 10, on Dave.

Scheduler Boss
Watch it on Dave ja vu. Duh!

Scheduler 1
Oh, ok. So, we'll put our two on after each other to give everyone a chance to watch them both?

Scheduler Boss
No. f**k 'em.

I want to like it. I like parts of it.

However, some of it doesn't link in well with other parts.

Only two episodes in so hopefully it will grow in to itself a bit better.

Bits of Heading Out would make a wonderful studio audience sitcom. It's a massive, massive shame they decided to record it 'natural' style as it just clashes and jars.