THE most underrated band of all time... Page 10

The Jimi Hendrix Experience

Huey Lewis And The News. Their early work really was a little too new wave for my taste but when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own - commercially and artistically.

Quote: Chappers @ December 19 2012, 11:05 PM GMT

Any Trouble were a great pop band at the time of power pop and post punk. However Clive Gregson never looked cool enough to be a rock star. They made a brilliant first album on Stiff. Then their third I think it was on EMI America had some fantastic tracks such as "Please don't stop" - one of my fave songs of all time.

That takes me back - completely forgotten about them.
Bit like a cross between Elvis Costello & the Attractions and Joe Jackson.

I think XTC were always passed over because they insisted on ploughing their own furrow - some classic tracks though.

I know this isn't 100% the right thread but I'd name Eric Clapton's singing voice as the most underrrated one. I sick of hearing that he's a guitar God and blues conaisseur with a meh-voice. He has a bloody good raspy (formed with scotch and cigarettes) voice and knows how to use it. His voice fits the bluesier songs perfectly and is very characteristic and recognizable. And I saw him live (in Zürich) once and I can say his voice needs no studio trickery in contrast to Paul McCartney's.

Yeah, he's pretty good on Layla too.

I once upset a girlfriend by telling her that her favourite Clapton song was really about his kid falling out of a window. I'd do it again, too.

The Replacements were really underrated.

Quote: chipolata @ December 21 2012, 4:05 PM GMT

Huey Lewis And The News. Their early work really was a little too new wave for my taste but when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own - commercially and artistically.

Agree. I think few people took/take them very seriously because they had many catchy hits with the obligatory videos on MTV. But beneath that 80s pop perfection there was a pretty good rockin bar band. And they make records again...but without scoring any hits. Maybe now it's cool to like them.

Talk Talk. Every now and again someone does a cover of "It's My Life" but their output was amazing in terms of variety and quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbZ9uCQW1Hk

The Sisters of Mercy.

Should have been bigger than U2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=ES&hl=es&v=qWvOHT0zfXY

The Strawbs, like many folksters, are remembered mainly for an atypical novelty chart hit. There was quite a bit more to them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK9BHsyW7-U

Love. Although they only really did one good album. It's a cracker though.

Quote: Ben @ December 23 2012, 6:23 PM GMT

Love.

Yes!!

Quote: Ben @ December 23 2012, 6:23 PM GMT

Although they only really did one good album. It's a cracker though.

???? The first four albums are all crackers!!

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ December 23 2012, 6:28 PM GMT

???? The first four albums are all crackers!!

I bought Da Capo and got bored of it fairly quickly.

I'd recommend the first one if you're into early Byrds.

I've never actually listened to a Byrds album...

'The The' Infected is an amazing album
The Blockheads were amazing musicians
KLF where genuinely odd ball