Doctor Who... Page 905

Hmm some of the new Whos like Dalek or Turn Left or the masterful 42 are for me examples of compact perfection. Others feel just rushed (like that ridiculous ww2 Dalek one)

Whilst some of the old ones felt really stretched and drawn out. Where as others like the Invasion of the Time or City of Death felt way more relaxed and made the most of their length.

Yeah, the pace of the old ones can be a little too slow sometimes.

And Dalek was definitely one of the better new episodes. The first series had lots of great episodes. Wasn't the final episode the one where the Daleks invade a space station, find all the people hiding at the bottom and slaughter them? And then that girl the Doctor liked got killed when a Dalek shot her through the window from the outside, causing explosive decompression of the room she was in. Awesome episode, even with the Billie-Piper-becomes-omnipresent ending.

Thats right and Billie I think only brought Jack from the dead.

Yeh season one was really dark and great fun, and Fathers Day where he proper loses it was aces.

I think the last seasons of New Who have been distinctly weak.

Quote: sootyj @ November 11 2012, 2:41 PM GMT

Lets kill a f**king companion, oh yes lets do one in.

Introduce them in ep one, make 'em sympathetic and then have them bummed to death with a dalek plunger in episode 6.

Then play the titles in silence like the queen had died.

And apologise on Bluepeter for making two mentally unstable kids kill themselves.

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Brilliant

Quote: Matthew Stott @ November 10 2012, 2:42 PM GMT

New Cybermen, for anyone interested.

http://doctorwhotv.co.uk/series-7-first-look-at-new-cybermen-41590.htm

Woo. They look almost exactly the same. Woo. :|

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ November 11 2012, 4:00 PM GMT

*Woo. They look almost exactly the same. Woo. :|

There's a fair bit of difference if you look. They're more refined and slimmed down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idEcvdL_zHA

Now I know I'm a great proponent of New Who, butthat's pretty damned tasty. Tragedy death and the Dr and co going a bit f**king Peckenpah with some Cybermen.

I think more of this stuff would be good.

I don't know how any of you people take that Old Who shit seriously.

Because I'm a loser with no life.

Next question.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ November 11 2012, 6:40 PM GMT

I don't know how any of you people take that Old Who shit seriously.

I don't take it seriously, but it is far superior than NuWho! Have you watched Fear Her???

Quote: sootyj @ November 11 2012, 2:50 PM GMT

And on a tiny budget. As someone pointed out in the Autons they couldn't even afford to show the Autons smashing a window.

Sometimes the old adage that what you don't see is scarier than what you do applies, Psycho, Jaws etc

Scary dad in the cupboard is one of the best monsters ever.

The rest of the episode sucked like an electrolux

Almost as bad as the Patrick Troughton which.... actually any Patrick Troughton episode

Quote: Raymond Terrific @ November 11 2012, 2:56 PM GMT

That seems true of all TV like this from that era. I think someone mentioned this earlier, that because they didn't have the budget for special effects or to make it look even half decent, they put all their effort into story telling. I'm watching the old Twilight Zone episodes too, and the same is true for them. No special effects, just solid plot (usually).

I also much prefer the way Old Who episodes are all between 4-8 parts, it gives the plot far more room to breathe. My favourite New Who episodes are multi-parters, I don't know why they don't do that more. It also meant that a series of Doctor Who must've been on for half the year, rather than 13 weeks.

It did run for half the year, right through the winter, for only 25 mins an episode though.

Quote: Pingl @ November 11 2012, 6:59 PM GMT

Sometimes the old adage that what you don't see is scarier than what you do applies, Psycho, Jaws etc

Psycho Jaws?

Could a shark run a motel?

AND KILL!

Quote: sootyj @ November 11 2012, 6:59 PM GMT

Almost as bad as the Patrick Troughton which.... actually any Patrick Troughton episode

Absurd. Loads of great stories; and he himself is the Doctor that many of the actors who have played the role since have used as a foundation.

I was just messing Stottor Who,