Hebburn - Series 1 Page 3

Not seen the second episode yet - but similarly to Gavin and Stacey the 2 leads benefit by being bland.

I had high hopes for this given some of the previews in the press, but it's clunky and desperately dull. The (apparently weekly) opening scene where the two leads recap for our benefit is so on the nose it defies belief. Gave up on episode 2 after 15 minutes and watched Nurse Jackie instead.

I was put off by the naff trailer.

It was okay though, won't make an effort to watch it, but if I catch it then I'll leave it on.

It's shit simple as.
It is a pastiche of everything that has gone before it and then refined for a stereotypical am dram set up.

Another very funny episode this week and probably the first time I've watched a sitcom whilst having a raging boner. Sexy Donkey FTW!

Better every week.

Thoroughly enjoyed it, but just sat with a grin on my face this week rather than laughing. Think I just wasn't quite in the right mood.

Saw this for the first time tonight. I quite liked it. Those two women are blatantly inspired by Nessa from Gavin and Stacey, right?

So - I think this is a good old laugh in general, with Jim Moir, the gran and daughter being the best characters. Jim is just playing himself which is fine because I like him, the gran reminds me of my gran and Mrs Brady from Viz, and the daughter looks great in a bikini.

Comparisons to The Royles, Early Doors are lazy IMO - will any northern-based comedy that has a gran or a pub now be put under these categories by default? It's nothing like either.

I compared it to the Royles after seeing episode 1 not because of its setting, but because it's about a working class extended family. And is relatable where TRF never was.

This show makes "Grandma's House" and "Friday Night Dinner" seem like all-time classics. At least with them you have Simon Amstell & Rebecca Front and Simon Bird & Mark Heap, respectively, to reliably supply laughs just from their mere presence and style of delivery.

Quote: johnny smith @ November 6 2012, 12:41 AM GMT

This show makes "Grandma's House" and "Friday Night Dinner" seem like all-time classics.

Two really great shows, there.

I like it. The jokes are well written and expertly delivered. The characters are (for the most part) sympathetic and the grandmother is brilliant :D

Not great this week - probably because it revolved around the two central characters - both of which are unlikeable and boring or to put it more accurately - an unfunny haircut and a frumpy ghost.

The haircut dude is especially irritating, particularly when he's surrounded by much better and funnier actors. The writers should kill off the couple (and their unborn child) as quickly as possible and focus on the real stars of the show.

It's growing on me...