NJ: Tesco Coffe Shop

I have to say I think this fell at the first hurdle in that it was a relatively small story about Tesco backing a new upcoming coffee shop chain and that story had long since disappeared by the time NJ recorded.

Tesco Coffee

F/XBUSY COFFEE SHOP, CROCKERY AND CUTTLERY CLASHING, COFFEE MACHINES STEAMING.

1. BARRISTA Welcome to Tesco Coffee Shop, how can I help you?

2. WOMANCan I have a skinny latte, please, and a cappuccino.

3. BARRISTAWould you like the regular cappuccino, or the value?

4. WOMANOh, is there much difference?

5. BARRISTAMost people say the taste is the same;
we just save money on the packaging.

6. WOMANOh, well, I'll have the value then, please.

7. BARRISTACertainly. If you like to just cup your hands
and hold them under the machine.

F/X:STEAM ESCAPING FROM A NOZZLE.

8. WOMANArrgh!

One thing I'd recommend is adding an intro to a sketch like this. If it's a story people are unlikely to have heard of NJ offers the chance to set it up with a couple of lines at the start. Make sure there's a gag in there rather than just 30s of monologue.

Re. the sketch itself I think it's rather spoilt as the twist seems obvious after you say value just saves on the packaging. Perhaps think of a different (but equally silly way) to distinguish between value / normal / Finest etc.

That's my two-bob anyway.

Thanks. I think I was blinded on this one by the fact that I usually send in rambling interviews that are either a succession of one liners, or just don't go anywhere, or both. So I was pleased with this one as it was tight and short. (No Jimmy Savile jokes here. Move along.)

However, I think I may have missed out on the funny.

I do often wonder about the intros as I find them tricky to come up with, and I think I've seen some sketches on here where the intro has been the most edited part of the sketch eventually broadcast. I suppose I thought that it would be easier for the team to write their own intro for Justin - but I'm glad you pointed it out, I shall practise a few intro monologues.