Shows that you remember but no one else does! Page 23

Quote: chipolata @ April 1 2010, 1:56 PM GMT

Space: Above and Beyond

;) Quite angry and gritty for a sci-fi show. I did enjoy it.

Quote: L.E. @ August 18 2010, 2:27 PM GMT

Through the Dragons Eye. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9MXx9xej10

I loved this show as a kid. We watched it each week at school and after the first episode I asked my mum to video the rest of them for me. Lovely stuff.

Here's a few obscure shows I watched...

A Perfect State was a BBC comedy featuring Rudolph Walker from Love Thy Neighbour. It's about a small English coastal town named Flatby which the residents discover had never been conquered and wasn't in the Domesday Book as the area was flooded when the King's survey came to visit. As a result it wasn't officially English so they form their own independent state and really piss off the British government in doing so. An odd concept but I did enjoy it.

Marlene Marlowe Investigates was a strange children's show full of poor jokes and cheap cartoon like sets about a very stupid privet detective who wore awful knitted jumpers. I've not seen since it was first broadcast but I remember it being pretty cringe worthy.

Italian Stripping Housewives is perhaps the oddest show I've ever seen but I'd love to see it again. I discovered it late one night on Bravo and was delighted to double its audience figure. It was what looked like an Italian game show but with strippers in multi coloured bikinis. It had a lot of bare breasts and G-strings but that's not what made it great. The best part was that it was dubbed into English by a man and woman who couldn't speak Italian so they created their own little world where the host was Welsh and he was shagging co-star who he was related to. They just took the piss and completely ripped the show to bits. I thought it was hilarious, bunged a tape into the recorder and the next day showed it to some mates who cracked up at the dialog. Now the odd thing is until recently I thought it was a genuine comedy show and that the Italian show was a fake made solely for the purpose of dubbing, however when searching for it on YouTube I could only find the original Italian show so I'm guessing it must have been dubbed by the people at Bravo. Genius stuff.
"Okay, answer this question right and we'll give you £400 and a Toffee Crisp. How does that sound?"
"Bollocks"

Oh, and how about Spatz. A CITV show set in a burger bar? Anyone remember that one?

That does ring a very vague bell actually...

Although was probably on way after I should have stopped watching kid's shows.

"Space Knights" - a sci-fi puppet show setting the characters from the Camelot mythos in outer space.

"High Society" - I've mentioned it on BCG before. A show about a wealthy New-York publisher and her boozy, romance novelist best friend and their decadent antics. an attempt at generating an "Ab Fab" style show in America.

"Amanda's By The Sea" - Also mentioned here before. Bea Arthur stars as Amanda - the rude, sarcastic proprietor of a seaside resort who is caustic to her customers and domineering of her family and staff - perticularly the foreign bellhop/waiter. A U.S. attempt at a "Fawlty Towers" type show.

Quote: Tursiops @ August 15 2010, 12:17 AM BST

Children's TV used to be great for giving kids nightmares. Children of the Stones was the one that scarred my childhood psyche, in a good way.

You will enjoy this radio documentary about the series on last week-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01n1rbx

Boy Dominic starring Murray Dale, son of Jim. I wonder what became of him?

Tygo Road!

For years I tried to convince people this show existed to the point where I thought I had dreamt it but today I found proof it was real!

Wiki entry: "Many hilarious escapades ensued as the wishes made by unaware students in Whizziwigs earshot would be granted. However in one notable incident a student wished his teacher was dead resulting in an unusually sombre episode."

Lovely.

Another kids show, 'Runaway Bay'.

Early 90's, bit like the famous five but set on a carribean island. I remember having a crush on the main girl in it (I was 9, so it's ok). Just looked it up, turn's out the girl was Naomie Harris from the new James Bond film (and Pirates of the Carribean, 28 Days Later). Crush, reinstated!

Also 'Ohara'. American cop show starring Pat 'Mr Miyogi' Morita. I think Brandon Lee was in it somehow, but I may have imagined it.

Promedious and Bob. Weird cartoon show from the 90's. Never quite understood it!!

OK, I have a couple of good ones that seemingly NOBODY remembers: Pogles Wood which was set in a woodland with creatures, main character I think was called Paulus and a witch with a song, 'She's out to get you beware!'

The other one was waaaay back and was called the Bugaloos (I think) which were like a musical band of bugs with wings! Almost like the very first ever kids show reminiscent of the Wiggles or many BBC, CBEEBIES-style shows more recently.

I was also gonna say Children of the Stones and Sky but was beaten to it :)

How about Jesus Sandles? Wasn't that like a bit of a Kung fu style thing, think it was British but couldn't be arsed to Google any of these as it feels better just to try to remember!

I've also just remembered that I have a stack of 'Look In' magazines that go back to early 70's so the TV guides and cartoons in there will have all sorts! :) ATV and Anglia! Hehe

Actually, I think I just mixed two together! Paulus The Woodknome was the one with the witch, Pogles Wood was black and white! Man, OK . . . So I am 50 next year, alright!! ;)

Children Of The Stones?

Everyone remembers that. Like Stewart Lee, for example:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01n1rbx/Happy_Days_The_Children_of_the_Stones/

Quote: GallonOfAlan @ October 10 2012, 3:46 PM BST

Children Of The Stones?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01n1rbx/Happy_Days_The_Children_of_the_Stones/

I was watching it on YouTube only the other day. It's ace. Like the Wicker Man but for kids and from the days before everything was dumbed down for morons.

Happy day.

Quote: GallonOfAlan @ October 10 2012, 3:46 PM BST

Children Of The Stones?

Thanks for that GallonOfAlan, a great listen :)
I used to really fancy the Liz character too in 'Timeslip', crikey, I was only 7!! :O

Quote: Beej @ October 10 2012, 1:54 PM BST

OK, I have a couple of good ones that seemingly NOBODY remembers: Pogles Wood

An early Oliver Postgate/Peter Firmin collaboration

The other one was waaaay back and was called the Bugaloos (I think) which were like a musical band of bugs with wings!

I'll let you have that one.

Actually, I think I just mixed two together! Paulus The Woodknome was the one with the witch, Pogles Wood was black and white!

Pogles Wood most certainly had a witch.