The Past and the Present.

Our past is a mixture of memories both good and not so good, and sometimes we are remembered for reasons we would rather forget.

For an example, one of my uncles used to have a Moskvitch car and he loved it very much. I did not like it because it was uncool and I was a little ashamed to be seen in it.

And people still remember me being in that car because, on Saturday night, I walked out on stage in a very noisy venue and I heard someone shout 'Get back to the Moskvitch!'

Ha! Ha! But the joke was upon him, not me, cos I have a Toyota.

I did not mean to put this in Critique.

It was supposed to be an introduction to a general discussion about how some small incident from our past can for some reason be a part of our identity in the present.

My hopefully humourous personal example was given because it is in the context of comedy.

Did I post it here by mistake or has it been moved to here?

I was not seeking critique.

I moved it here, sorry! I thought the post was just the lead up to a joke.
I'll put it back in General for you.

Nobody expects the critique!

Get back to your Toyotavitch...

Nearly. Great idea but the reference was a tad obscure and for me required the heckler to have an East European accent.

If you are going to do the whole Islamic caper you need to be a lot funnier otherwise people will struggle to see if it's humour, malice or vitriol.

Religion in general is not the best genre as its been round since before the Romans so the chances of hitting an original vein is very remote.

Also I don't see any venue welcoming such an act as the negative outweighs the positive.

If I was you I would make a fake video with a harsh backdrop and have someone blindfolded with their hands tied etc and masked men in the room. Then you come in and start arguing about basic domestic issues with the masked leader.
It could go viral and that would get you noticed.
After that you'll either be famous or murdered.

Possibly both, infamy infamy they've all got it infamy!

Quote: Jasmine @ September 4 2012, 10:27 AM BST

how some small incident from our past can for some reason be a part of our identity in the present.

No, nothing that has ever happened to me in my entire existence influences my present identity.

Oh wait, I mean everything that has ever happened to me influences my present identity. Unless you've suffered a traumatic head injury or have been mentally impaired so your long term memory is no longer accessible, then it's a given that events in the past have shaped who you are today.

Oh and welcome to the forum.

Wave

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ September 4 2012, 1:52 PM BST

No, nothing that has ever happened to me in my entire existence influences my present identity.

Oh wait, I mean everything that has ever happened to me influences my present identity. Unless you've suffered a traumatic head injury or have been mentally impaired so your long term memory is no longer accessible, then it's a given that events in the past have shaped who you are today.

"Red Dwarf" and "Total Recall" showed us a few more ways to tinker with the "memory bagagge".

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ September 4 2012, 10:39 AM BST

you need to be a lot funnier

I shall try.