Podcast on women in comedy Page 4

If you're a bloke and are seriously trying to sound like you know what you're talking about when it comes to the treatment and experiences of women trying to make it in the industry, do wind your neck in a bit.

Musical comedy is also, obviously, not a female only thing. Who are the biggest musical comedy acts of recent times? Ooh, Tim Minchin? Flight Of The Conchords? Bill Bailey? Bo Burnham? The Lonely island? I'm guessing they all have cocks.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ August 27 2012, 2:11 PM BST

If you're a bloke and are seriously trying to sound like you know what you're talking about when it comes to the treatment and experiences of women trying to make it in the industry, do wind your neck in a bit.

Musical comedy is also, obviously, not a female only thing. Who are the biggest musical comedy acts of recent times? Ooh, Tim Minchin? Flight Of The Conchords? Bill Bailey? Bo Burnham? The Lonely island? I'm guessing they all have cocks.

And...straight back on topic...BOOM!

Quote: Matthew Stott @ August 27 2012, 2:11 PM BST

So what you're saying is that men do better musical comedy then women? Maybe the BBC Podcast people should do a follow up programme on how difficult it is for women to make it in the musical comedy genre. (Not sure where Hinge and Bracket fit in to the discussion)

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ August 28 2012, 10:57 AM BST

Maybe the BBC Podcast people should do a follow up programme on how difficult it is for women to make it in the musical comedy genre. (Not sure where Hinge and Bracket fit in to the discussion)

There are parallels between Hinge and Bracket and the Black & White Minstrels, since they are both effectively parodying another group, but while one is condemned for racism, the other isn't condemned for sexism, and while blacking up is now taboo, getting into drag isn't.

Quote: Nat Wicks @ August 25 2012, 1:37 PM BST

I'm going with the theme of the thread, wherein the majority of the post seem to be referring to this. Plus it is the only aspect I have any real insight into, and is the avenue a great majority of TV comedians and writers use to get into the biz.

This is true, especially for writer-performers. I wish that it wasn't the only way in and I think that's why it's become so brutally competitive and maybe why many women feel barged out by the throng of men. I can believe it when you say there's discrimination against the women comics if clubs are male dominated and they're doing that testosterone filled male competitive thing. That would also explain the high amount of laddish comedy they produce. They are all no boubt aiming to be the new Frankie Boyle or whoever.

Maybe female only clubs or nights are the thing to make sure you get a fair crack at it? To me there is a clear division between male and female comedy (bar MM) so I would've thought marketing would be playing a bigger part in it. Or why not become the female Michael McIntyre?

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ August 28 2012, 10:57 AM BST

So what you're saying is that men do better musical comedy then women?

Or you could look at it and wonder if the male dominance there has anything to do with it perhaps being easier for male acts to get to the top. Maybe.

The other day I watched a short YouTube of an Iman of a conservative sect telling a very convoluted joke about a parrot.

I didn't find it funny.

It amused me not.

And I was going to write some flaming critique.

And then I realised his audience were in convolsions of laughter. Obviously he wa amusing to them, who am I to judge other than via my personal tastes.

You'd think this would be obvious? It would appear not.

If you say women are not funny, because I don't find them funny. Then you are an idiot (in my opinion of course).

If you say I don't find women funny then you have a point of view.

I wish some people could sit on their urge to start pointless, petty minded arguments out of sheer boredom.

Quote: sootyj @ August 28 2012, 2:04 PM BST

And then I realised his audience were in convolsions of laughter. Obviously he wa amusing to them, who am I to judge other than via my personal tastes.

I do judge using my personal tastes, in fact, we all do. I never suggested women weren't funny, there are loads of hilarious women out there. But not all of them want to take a stab at stand up. Until you get some sort of equalibrium with numbers, then it will remain male dominated.

Should female comics have some sort of special support network, with special club nights and affirmative action because they are special little pixie snowflakes? I don't know, let's ask Sarah Millican - a successful, funny, quick witted comic with great timing, stage presence, good material, charisma and a natural affinity with her audience.

Now her I find unfunny.

Butthat's my problem and mine alone.

Quote: sootyj @ August 28 2012, 2:41 PM BST

Now her I find unfunny.

Butthat's my problem and mine alone.

I thought I'd really like her, but she hasn't grown on me. I even recorded all episodes of her TV series and only watched one. I just didn't have that little jump you get in your heart that makes you look forward to things.

So, my problem too I fear.

I'm also not keen on Ricky Gervais, but lots of people rave about him.

I was at a comedy club the other night and one of the comedians, who was coincidentally a schoolteacher, talked about being a teacher. And nobody complained.

Another comedian, who was coincidentally a parent, talked about being a parent. And nobody complained.

A third comedian – and remember it’s always the third one that matters in stories like this. You remember in The Good Samaritan you had the priest, then the Levite and the third one was the one that the story was actually about?

Don’t be surprised that I know Christian stories. Do you think I spend all my spare time in my bedroom wearing a Jihad and reading the Koran?

Where was I? No, I don’t mean before I came to this country. I mean before I went off piste. See I know about skiing too. Skiing – now that is a bloody good trick where I come from.

The third comedian was coincidentally a woman and she talked about being a woman. And immediately and without more ado, many people pulled out their phones and started tweeting and posting forum messages saying being a woman is not a legitimate subject for comedy.

"Twitter ye not", I implored them, but it was no good.

If they'd listened, I would have told them I went into Boots The Chemist this morning and the assistant (who I thought had seen one of my gigs) said “I know you. You’re super”.

I was very pleased indeed until she said “Oh wait. I’m thinking of your sister” and handed me a packet of ‘regular’.

You see? I have broached a topic about which most men know little and understand even less - shopping.

In a society divided along lines of gender, race and religion, we all need to learn about each other.

Only in that way will there ever be harmony.

But, until harmony comes, we should all strive for tolerance.

This is why we need women in comedy to talk, at least some of the time, about being women.

Quote: Jasmine @ August 30 2012, 8:51 AM BST

Do you think I spend all my spare time in my bedroom wearing a Jihad and reading the Koran?

Isn't wearing was a Jihad a bit of a struggle?

It's from her war-drobe.

Well...I'll laugh at anything as long as it's funny. Isn't that the point? Not just the subject matter, but how stories are told and punchlines delivered? Some people have got it, some haven't. Men or women...some have, some haven't.

I'd love to do a packed O2 gig, but I'm scared people will laugh at me.

Stop it you two, I know what what she/he/the comedy character creator meant.
>_< Laughing out loud Ten out of ten Sir, er Miss, of course.