I don't get South Park - just me? Page 2

Quote: billwill @ June 19 2012, 12:41 AM BST

South Park is Canadian I think, so very different than USA humour.

Its not Canadian its mainly produced and written in American by Americans, I know the creators have Canadian roots but Matt Stone is also Jewish, but that doesn't mean South Park is jewish humour.

I think of it as Coloradoian.
Is it set there or something?

Quote: zooo @ June 25 2012, 8:50 PM BST

I think of it as Coloradoian.
Is it set there or something?

Yep.

Quote: chipolata @ June 19 2012, 1:06 PM BST

I like Southpark a lot, but I never seem to watch it that much. It's something I enjoy in a more irregular and sporadic fashion.

Yes, in many ways it's a lot like anal sex with a dinosaur skeleton.

Quote: Nat Wicks @ June 19 2012, 10:08 AM BST

South Park is comfortably high on my list of top comedies. It's a lot cleverer and has a lot more heart than people give it credit for.

Ding.

Many people watched it at first for shock-value, but then it morphed into something intelligent, topical, relevant, very well-written and above-all very funny.

That's why it has survived so long. SP in it's original guise wouldn't have lasted nearly so long.

Although, I have not seen the last 2-ish series, so maybe it's lost-a-step since I have been away. Still they are entitled to after so many episodes.

It's still amazing. Get on it!

Yeah, I'm still only on season 9. I need to get a f**king move on. Excellent show though, can't praise it enough.

Quote: Nat Wicks @ July 9 2012, 5:08 PM BST

It's still amazing. Get on it!

Yeah, it's kept pretty consistent imo. Although I think it was at its peak around seasons 7-8 and it's definitely tailed off since then, it hasn't taken the nosedive The Simpsons took around this many seasons in.

I've only seen the South Park movie which lots of people cajoled me into watching saying it was 'hilarious', 'brilliant' whatever. Actually it was very, very shit.

American cartoon sitcoms are difficult to watch, because although they tend to be very well written, visually they are completely empty and uninspired. Like the last fifty years didn't happen in the visual arts.

I think South Park is a bad example of that. South Park has that visual/art style for a reason.

South Park is great - and the artwork is like that specifically.

I don't know if the film is as good as the TV shows.

And Bill - there was an episode where they really take the piss out of Canadians and the accents they give them is really weird.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ July 25 2012, 3:34 PM BST

I've only seen the South Park movie which lots of people cajoled me into watching saying it was 'hilarious', 'brilliant' whatever. Actually it was very, very shit.

American cartoon sitcoms are difficult to watch, because although they tend to be very well written, visually they are completely empty and uninspired. Like the last fifty years didn't happen in the visual arts.

I think the South Park movie is excellent. I had previously seen only a few episodes of the show on TV and thought they were pretty ordinary. After watching the movie, I started watching every series and my appreciation grew. One of the great things about the movie is the catchy songs, especially the medley. Trey Parker writes (and sings) good tunes. I've not watched the film for at least eight years and perhaps I haven't aged well - I used to be able to watch South Park series over and over, but the latest series I only watched once - tried to watch it again and had to turn off during the "You're Getting Old" episode, as I found reading more appealing than a repeat viewing. As for the visuals, South Park was supposed to look like crap when it started.

There's lots of episodes where they make fun of Canada, including the movie. The accent maybe weird; but the way all Canadian character's heads are in two separate pieces that flop about at odd angles... that's real.

Wow, motion defeated I think.

Maybe I'll give it another go!

South Park is in Colorado near where one of the two writers grew up. It is named after a real place in Colorado, but the real place is not a town, but a large geographic region.

Trey Parker picked the name as a compromise between wanting to name it after a real place as an homage to home but at the same time wanting to keep the town fictional to keep the freedom to make up whatever bogus background information is needed without implying he's talking about the real place. Picking a large geographical region instead of an actual town gives people an idea where it is meant to be set without being *too* specific about it.

Wikipedia entry on the real "South Park": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Park_%28Colorado_basin%29