Alan Partridge: Welcome To The Places Of My Life

Brand new Alan Partridge 'series' (consisting of two one off specials and a 'special edition' of the Mid Morning Matters series) started on Sky Atlantic HD last night (Monday 25th June), what did you think?? :D

:) Nearly.

A bit too reflective and too smug. He's not as edgy and uncomfortable as he used to be. Maybe Coogan has tightened up on the blurred line between the 'real-life' comical absurdity of celebrity-dom, and the ridiculous insincerity of Partridge World. Maybe the laugh-out-loud parts have been replaced by a deeper satire.
Coogan is still a comedy genius. Still funny. Still worth watching. I think I just wanted to laugh out loud, but I didn't.

The Great Yarmouth line made me and my wife, who really doesn't like Alan Partridge, laugh out loud, the rest was alright but a bit "meh", decent enough but not classic Partridge or as good as the "Morning Matters" web series.

There were a handful of really nice exchanges, amidst an awful lot of bloat. Just far too dry and indulgent. I felt it could have been numerous times better if they'd cut it back to 30, or even 45, minutes.

The last twenty minutes or so were fantastic, the rest had a little too much 'padding' but was otherwise still vastly funnier than most things I've seen this year.

Favourite parts for me? Alan falling asleep in the Land Rover (or whatever make it was), his phone call to Lynn and also the scene with the Vicar walking off had me in stitches. There were other parts too, perhaps a re-watch will be in order :)

I enjoyed it. But is it just me, or was "bigoted, right-wing" Alan vastly superior to "liberal" Alan in the comedy department?

It's the details that heighten the enjoyment, the too new looking boots and maroon cords, the looks to camera and the turns of phrase. Highlights for me were the graveyard walk with the vicar, making a walking stick, the Range Rover test drive and the market stall.

:( Dam haven't got Sky Atlantic !

It's sad that a show that, were it broadcast on the BBC, would have inspired pages and pages of comment, slips out on Sky Atlantic virtually unnoticed. Still, at least we're getting new Partridge, even if most of us will have to wait to watch it.

You have Sky1 on Virgin, right? If so, it's repeated there at 10pm on Friday.

Quote: chipolata @ June 26 2012, 1:26 PM BST

It's sad that a show that, were it broadcast on the BBC, would have inspired pages and pages of comment, slips out on Sky Atlantic virtually unnoticed. Still, at least we're getting new Partridge, even if most of us will have to wait to watch it.

Yes. I thought the same, seems to diminish the importance of it somewhat.

I loved it - although I agree that it should have been trimmed to 30-45 minutes.

My favourite bit was when Alan compared the plague to AIDS.

For anyone without Sky - PM me for details on how to watch this online.

Quote: groovydude89 @ June 26 2012, 1:59 PM BST

My favourite bit was when Alan compared the plague to AIDS.

:D flying Aids.

Quote: Aaron @ June 26 2012, 1:35 PM BST

You have Sky1 on Virgin, right?

Just Freeview. Cool

Sounds like it was a bit of a let down. :( Shame.

I'll watch it later, maybe.