Derek - Pilot Page 16

Quote: Nogget @ April 20 2012, 10:01 AM BST

I watched a bit of this, and found it entirely inoffensive; but I gave up after 10 minutes because it did nothing for me.

By comparison, I laughed loads during the latest edition of The Undateables, which has similar characters to Derek, except they're all real. Sam, the Downs Syndrome guy, was genuinely funny, and when he went to a meeting with his learning-disabled mates, it was comedy gold. What's more, his girlfriend was a treat, and it was genuinely touching in places.

Thanks you got me wathcing this after missing the last couple of episodes.

It is really funny and sweet. I'd reccomend watching the Louis Theroux show that was on BBC2.

Quote: sootyj @ April 20 2012, 10:23 PM BST

It is really funny and sweet. I'd reccomend watching the Louis Theroux show that was on BBC2.

Want to see that, it starts next week doesn't it?

It was on yesterday.

Quote: Dr Sanchez @ April 19 2012, 10:18 PM BST

No matter what he says either The Mail, Guardian or Twitter crowd will find something to moan about. Comedians are taken literally at every juncture these days, it fills column inches and gives mouth breathers something to dribble onto.

True to an extent, but just because they don't share your opinion doesn't necessarily make them wrong. Some of us find him bland, shock-value for the sake of it with a singular monotonous style. It's clear most of the reaction is partly due to the persona he has developed and partly because he does do certain jokes purely for the shock value - the latter is more likely to offend because it is an exploitation.

I really believe he wants to finally release one of his original stand-up persona's to a wider market - fair enough, but, perhaps there simply isn't enough there for anything magical to blossom. But as I said I'm curious enough to watch the next episode.

I kind of want to watch the Louis Theroux doc - but I understand he is a complete exploitationist - or at least that's what some of the circles of the interweb would have you believe.

I watched this for the first time just then. I'd read and heard a lot about it and wanted to see for myself. I am so glad I did because I was genuinely touched by the episode and felt a lot for the characters.

Soooo... apparently (thanks to BCG's reporting) I saw it's coming back for a full series.

What does everyone think?

Am happy. Looking forward to living in Derek's world for a few more weeks.

I just hope someone told Ricky to lay off the gurning for the series

Excellent news.

The pilot felt a bit crammed so it'll be nice to see all the characters given a bit of air to breath and of course there's more room for comedy,

I am glad too. I liked his Derek character, I just hope they keep that balance of comedy and sadness as that's why I liked it so much.

Quote: Dr Sanchez @ May 9 2012, 9:19 PM BST

The pilot felt a bit crammed

Did it? I mean, I enjoyed it, but there wasn't a lot going on really.

Derek really reminds me of bubbles in trailer park boys...just me?

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 11 2012, 9:02 AM BST

Did it? I mean, I enjoyed it, but there wasn't a lot going on really.

Gervais said himself that the pilot was an attempt at cramming in all aspects of Derek in one episode. Over a series they could focus more on the comedy and leave the drama until later on.

Quote: Dr Sanchez @ May 18 2012, 8:57 PM BST

Gervais said himself that the pilot was an attempt at cramming in all aspects of Derek in one episode. Over a series they could focus more on the comedy and leave the drama until later on.

If he says so, but it didn't feel like much was being crammed in to me.

A series of this won't do the damage to Gervais's reputation that wrecking ball Life's Too Short did, but I wish he'd get a proper comedy actor to play the title role. He hasn't really got the range as a performer to pull it off.

Quote: zooo @ May 9 2012, 3:48 PM BST

Am happy. Looking forward to living in Derek's world for a few more weeks.

In a sense, zooo, you already live in Derek's world. Pleased