Beginner

Hi

I'm 19 and comedy writing is my new found fascination. I would actually like to get involved in writing and the creative aspects of the comedy world. I have got a few books about it and I'm just trying to find time in-between work to start working on this.

Does anyone have any advice for beginner and how to go about starting?

Much appreciated to anyone who replies.

Read examples of what you want to write first.

Then try starting with a few one-liners (maybe put them on Twitter) and some short sketches and see if you can get the structure right first.

There is a Critique forum around here to get some feedback on it.

Best of luck!

Dan

Thank you for the advice :)

No probs. Enjoy it!

Look on BBC Writers' Room for opportunities coming up, as well as in these here Writing Opportunities forums and try and tailor your scripts for these competitions. Get rejected. Get better. Get rejected again.

:)

Dan

Quote: Lewis Smith @ May 10 2012, 12:34 PM BST

19?

Copy your influences and eventually (in 4 or 5 years time) outgrow them.

Quote: Lewis Smith @ May 10 2012, 12:34 PM BST

If you're a beginner then you've already started.

If you mean how do you get accepted, most of us wish we knew that. Just keep submitting, I guess.

And keep writing. Try gags on your friends (No sooty) and see how they react. Longer pieces can be on critique here.

Get on Circalit, easy upload/review process!

Just keep on writing and when looking for ideas turn off the TV unless it's the news or something you hate ... unless you hate the news ... Huh?

People seem to be quite keen to give advice on here. I appreciate it guys, thanks. I'm just finding it quite hard to start and get motivated after coming home from work, aha.

If you don't enjoy it - and look forward to i,t you're backing the wrong horse!

I've not properly wrote anything at all yet though. Just taking notes in a notebook and trying to write characters.

Quote: Lewis Smith @ May 12 2012, 6:05 PM BST

I've not properly wrote anything at all yet though.

Laughing out loud Whistling nnocently

Quote: steve by any other name @ May 15 2012, 1:09 PM BST

Laughing out loud Whistling nnocently

+1

Remember when you two were first starting.

http://michealjacob.wordpress.com/

This is Micheal Jacob's blog he writes words about writing that might help your writing, specifically comedy writing. WRITING!