Cricket comedy/drama? Page 2

Not heard of those. The Upper Hand sounds perfect, I might hunt that one down. All Along the Watchtower seems far too Scottish though!

Oh, it's not at all! The majority of the show is between the English characters, the Scots generally come in for a bit of contrast and outside influence into their quirky world.

Hello Tom G,

I am stockpiling series such as "Outside Edge".
On Amazon I found two versions:
A 1994-1996 "complete set"
And a two disc set season one, which has a 1982 episode which makes up the whole of the second disc.
Maybe that's what you remember. Prunella Scales is in the 1982 cast.

Hope that helps.

Happy sleuthing,
L

This had Josie Lawrence who I loved and of course Maureen Lipman played the same part in the short series - or am I getting confused?

It was a TV play rather than a short series, but yes Lipman did play the Maggie character.

Quote: Tom G @ March 4 2012, 10:12 AM GMT

Hi guys

Could you use your expert knowledge to identify a comedy/drama for me?

It was based around a village cricket team and I'm sure it had the BBC test match theme tune in its opening credits.

It was on in the late 90s and was probably on a Sunday night.

I did my own research and found 'Outside Edge' but I watched it and it was shocking! I hope it is something else but maybe I just remembered it with rose tinted spectacles!

I absolutely loved that show. Bloke from John Sullivan's Roger Roger (his one crap show) and Tim Smalls from everything.

Quote: Tom G @ March 5 2012, 7:06 PM GMT

Not heard of those. The Upper Hand sounds perfect, I might hunt that one down. All Along the Watchtower seems far too Scottish though!

How long's Jimi Hendrix been Scotch? ;)

Tom,

You might like On the Up or Dinnerladies.

Josie on Radio 6 at the moment.

Hi Tom G, this is an old thread that I stumbled across so you may no longer be interested but here goes anyway. Were you thinking of this :-
Sticky Wickets
Part of the BBC Screen One series Season 2, Episode 7
Airdate. 14 October 1990

One of my favourite actors being Alun Armstrong in the role of Evans
Also Starring James Bolam as Cyril; William Thomas as Glyn; George Sewell as Friedrich; Gillian Elisa as Phoebe

The local cricket club throws a fancy-dress party with the theme of World War II, while at the same time the local council hosts a group of German businessmen (at the same pub) looking to build factories in the area. The desperate attempts to keep the two groups apart in different rooms descends into chaos as the Nazi-uniformed cricket club members get drunker and drunker. A Japanese company saves the day.
Availability Not released on DVD. Not 100% sure all details are correct.

I would be grateful if anyone can find a copy of this anywhere.
If your sense of humour is anything like mine you may like Booze Cruise 1,2 and 3. All the best, Chris.