Cricket comedy/drama?

Hi guys

Could you use your expert knowledge to identify a comedy/drama for me?

It was based around a village cricket team and I'm sure it had the BBC test match theme tune in its opening credits.

It was on in the late 90s and was probably on a Sunday night.

I did my own research and found 'Outside Edge' but I watched it and it was shocking! I hope it is something else but maybe I just remembered it with rose tinted spectacles!

I recall Outside Edge was based on a one-off play of the same name, starring Paul Eddington, Maureen Lipman and Jonathan Lynn, which was significantly superior to the recast sitcom that followed.

Do you know if that is available anywhere? Can't find it on Amazon?

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/outside_edge/buy/1277/outside_edge_the_complete_series_dvd/

It doesn't have the test match theme so I don't think it's what you're looking for, though.

In terms of cricket comedy, the only other one that springs to mind is Dave Podmore, but that's a radio comedy.

I think it may be the one off play that TImbo referred to. I tried Outside Edge but don't think it was that. I watched a few episodes and didn't find it funny at all.

As I say, it doesn't use the BBC theme, so how sure are you of that memory?

The play is infinitely less funny and equally infinitely slower than the meandering sitcom; its plot strands were spun out into the individual episodes of Series 1.

It also doesn't match your timeframe, as it was shown in 1982 and highly unlikely to have been repeated once the sitcom had been on (1994 onwards). The BFI, in fact, have no record of it ever being repeated. (They're not infallible but it's a pretty good indication.)

Quote: Tom G @ March 4 2012, 10:12 AM GMT

I did my own research and found 'Outside Edge' but I watched it and it was shocking! I hope it is something else but maybe I just remembered it with rose tinted spectacles!

Your tastes have probably just changed. :)

I guess it was the sitcom then and my tastes have just changed. I had fond memories of it being one of those warm Sunday night shows that just made you love little England.

It should be watched in front of an open fire with a cosy jumper drinking real ale and eating cheese.

I remember "Grass" being another one of these.

Quote: Tom G @ March 5 2012, 4:30 PM GMT

I guess it was the sitcom then and my tastes have just changed. I had fond memories of it being one of those warm Sunday night shows that just made you love little England.

That's definitely the feeling I get from it! Pity it's not far funnier...

Do you have any suggesstions for sitcoms that have that feel about them Aaron, funny ones though!

I think Vicar of Dibley is an obvious one and Jam and Jerusalem.

Ha ha. Yes, well, you've named the obvious ones there! Erm, well there's Dad's Army of course. Not quite the same, but very suitable, I find, if you're in that sort of Sunday-afternoon National Trust-visiting type mood.

To The Manor Born too, I'd say. I shall ponder other titles.

As Time Goes By?

Dad's Army is a bit hard to relate to with it being set in the 40s and To the Maor Born is a bit posh but As Time Goes By is about right.

I like those sitcoms I used to watch on a Sunday night knowing I had school the next day and I hadn't done my homework. Despite what you were worried about you knew that for the next 30mins everything was just right!

Quote: Tom G @ March 5 2012, 6:58 PM GMT

I like those sitcoms I used to watch on a Sunday night knowing I had school the next day and I hadn't done my homework. Despite what you were worried about you knew that for the next 30mins everything was just right!

In that case, how about The Last Salute (although it is period, so perhaps not) or All Along The Watchtower?

Maybe even The Upper Hand?!