May To December

I have become a fan of May to December since Eve Matheson played Zoe Angell. I missed the first few episodes but caught the rest when she and Alec became a couple. The last episode I saw was Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom White. Lesley Dunlop isn't bad. Last sunday, they repeated the previous episode so I watched the next episode on YouTube. It was getting really interesting when a young guy, she set her sister up with, started looking at her with interest. The very last episode of the series had one of the best performances by Anton Rodgers and Lesley Dunlop when Alec and Zoe had a fight and he walked out on her. I'm very glad it ended on a good note. I would love it if the series got released on Region 1 DVD.

We'd love if it was released on Region 2! Only the first two series have ever been made available.

And welcome to the site, Addy.

Rik Mayall knocked this show in one of the Bottom live shows by uttering 'I'm so happy I could watch a whole episode of May To December without vomiting blood - now that's happy'. :P He was probably a secret fan.

Thank you for the welcome.

There is one episode, in particular, that hit me hard. Alec's son Jamie is feeling unwell so he goes to the doctor. Alec just thinks Jamie is being lazy but he actually had a lump on his thyroid and he soon goes through surgery.

I can relate to that because it has happened to me. When he told his dad about the lump, it just made me cry because it was pretty much my story being played out.

I've seen it all. I think it is a very good - excellent sitcom.

I have read criticism somewhere that the last two series were not as good and I understand there was a different writer? However, I found the final two series to be better than some of the other series - just as good as any of the series. They got good milage out of all the characters without resorting to too much stupidness. Character of Hillary is not in the final series, but new character Rosie is so different that this in itself seems to make up for that.

I think the original Zoe played a more quirky and complex Zoe, and new Zoe, Lesley Dunlop played a somewhat more down to earth Zoe. They were both very good and thing this transition went pretty well.

I'd give it 8.5 - 9 out of 10.

I think Paul wrote all of this series, but My Hero had other writers?

Hello,

New member here.

They have just started showing this series...about a year ago now anyway. Part of the Wednesday line up.
My question is, where were the scenes filmed for the episode School Days?
Half timbered buildings on a main street, or high street.
It looks charming.

Cheers
L

I have a feeling that the series was filmed where it is set, in Pinner. I can't check any episodes right now, but does this look familiar?

Hello Aaron,

Yes! that looks like it.
Pinner, I'm going to look that up straight away.

Thank you

L

Now after looking at Pinner, it also appears that Pinner was used for town scenes in The Good Life (renamed Good Neighbours for US TV).

L

Quote: Loyalist @ May 9 2012, 2:03 AM BST

Now after looking at Pinner, it also appears that Pinner was used for town scenes in The Good Life (renamed Good Neighbours for US TV).

L

Surely The Good Life was Surbiton. Maybe Birds of a Feather was Pinner though.

I liked it when Eve Matheson was in it. Not so keen when Lesley Dunlop took over - this may have coincided with the change of writer.

Agreed. I could never quite buy Dunlop in the role, but Matheson was perfect for it. I was really disappointed (and confused!) when she left.

There was no 'change of writer' though. Paul Mendelson wrote the first four series alone, and carried on contributing for the final 2, alongside Geoffrey Deane, Paul Minett and Brian Leveson; he eventually wrote 30 of the 39 episodes.

I'll confess to not being wild about May to December until, long after I saw some of the later episodes on PBS -- or was it TVO? -- I saw an episode from the first two series. I agree - Eve Matheson is the Zoe that makes it all believable.

In any case, it looks as though only the first two series are available on DVD so far.

Chappers,

As soon as I get the chance, I'll try to find the Good Life episode and use the link that Aaron sent me to study it further.
I can recall Margo entering a green door, and Tom finding an antique loom, on a street that looks similar to the link.

CHEERS!
L