Derek - Pilot Page 10

Quote: Aaron @ April 14 2012, 12:40 PM BST

Jesus Christ. Are you all as retarded as each other?

Can we keep the personal attacks to a minimum please? Don't make me report you to...er, yourself.

What I've found most shocking about this discussion are the comments about Karl Pilkington's acting - I thought we all twigged long ago that Karl Pilkington has been acting all the way through his career.

Don't tell me you guys actually believe in the whole 'innocent idiot' act?

We've all discussed that at great length before. Go and read through the old thread if you want to go through all that yet again.

Quote: zooo @ April 14 2012, 1:46 PM BST

We've all discussed that at great length before. Go and read through the old thread if you want to go through all that yet again.

I would rather cover myself in petrol and throw myself on a bonfire then go through an old thread at length.

;)

Can we watch? ;)

Very poor and unfunny series. The problem is that you can never get into the character. you just see Ricky Gervais in a brown coat "doing the shopping for my mum".

I have no doubt that he will the "they are just jealous" and "it is PC gone mad" response to any bad reviews.

Jesus Christ. Are you all as retarded as each other?

Quote: Aaron @ April 13 2012, 12:20 AM BST

If you're going to attack *** members so nastily for merely daring to air their opinion, please make THAT post YOUR last, ** *******.

Rolling eyes

I did not claim people die "every week", nor deny that it's possible to become attached to individuals. Get over it.

Well, you kinda did Aaron but I'm really not that arsed :)

'Every few weeks' was what he said.

Anyway. I'm glad I kept it on my Sky box, I rather feel like watching it again!

Quote: Scartledge @ April 13 2012, 6:42 AM BST

A 6 part series might be a bit much...!

Well, I live on a continent where every slightly promising series or premise is flogged into a catatonic state, euthanised and resuscitated in order to be flogged again. One of the many strengths of the Britsystem is that six episodes is considered a "run" so things don't get watered down as badly. Most of the time anyway. So a few more of Derek? Sure.

I liked the worm scene. That was a bit of genius. The rest was shockingly shit.

Just watched this.
I thought the last section - Joan's death was actually handled very well.
If someone without RG 's previous had delivered that performance I think it would have gained quite a few plaudits
All the sitting in custard and falling in the pond shit was just plain lazy.

RG needs to take his balls in his hands and kick away the crutch of the mockumentary.
Ironically the faux truth of the shooting style, looking at the camera etc etc makes it less believable.
The bold move would to be to move towards Mike Lee territory and away from a style that 's been used and abused since 'Victoria Wood on TV'.

I don't care that it's not comedy ( which it isn't) - don't think it would make a series though.
They would be forced, I fear , to put more physical stuff in - and that would be grisly.

Quote: Lazzard @ April 15 2012, 2:51 PM BST

They would be forced, I fear , to put more physical stuff in - and that would be grisly.

In many ways it's like how Universal Pictures forced John Landis and Dan Aykroyd to rewrite The Blues Brothers 2000 into a stupid, family friendly film. As Landis recalled: "It had to be PG-rated, they wanted a little boy, which is totally inappropriate for the subject matter, but we did it. They practically f**ked us and we agreed just because we wanted to make it to get the music out."
Tellingly, Ricky Gervais followed the example set by the other Blues Brother, John Belushi, who turned down the title role in Arthur back in 1981. Gervais rejected the same role for the recent remake. Those who complain of Gervais's portrayal of Derek should watch Landis's deservedly overlooked film The Stupids, about a family of morons.

Or Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em.

Well that was the 1970s Zooo, the past is a foreign country.

Ha. But no one gets on their high horse about it do they? They just accept he was portraying someone a bit simplistic and childlike. But no, it's Gervais so he must be doing something evil... Yawn.

Quote: zooo @ April 16 2012, 10:10 AM BST

Ha. But no one gets on their high horse about it do they? They just accept he was portraying someone a bit simplistic and childlike. But no, it's Gervais so he must be doing something evil... Yawn.

No.
One was heightened slapstick that had nothing to do with reality - and no-one believed reflected any sort of real person ( Have you ever met anyone like Frank Spencer??)
The other takes on the mantle of 'reality' by the style he's chosen to film it in.
And most people have met someone like Derek.
The two are poles apart.

Personally, when he's not sitting in custard, I don't actually think this one is anything like as offensive as "Life's Too Short".
i actually think, played well ( which it was in bits - but not enough bits) this could have been a decent drama.