How is Rowan Atkinson viewed in Britain? Page 2

I think it's fair to say that when the Mr. Bean shows were originally broadcast that they were hugely popular and well loved. The first movie wasn't considered to be quite up to the same standard and the character is probably not as highly thought of now as he should be. I think there is also a snobbishness in the U.K. that dictates that if any character is popular overseas that he shouldn't be popular back home.

The Johnny English character again was massively successful when appearing in some commercials. But the movies have received a mixed response.

Blackadder is still considered to be one of the finest sitcoms of all time and Not the Nine O'clock News and The Thin Blue Line still have plenty of admirers.

Quote: Chappers @ March 6 2012, 5:10 PM GMT

Then of course he played the brilliant Black Adders and then the not so good The Thin Blue Line.

Chappers !

I hope you are comparing TTBL with BA in which case I'd agree.

Hope you are not being disparaging about TTBL generally !

Through rose-tinted spectacles. Cool

Quote: Oldrocker @ March 11 2012, 9:17 PM GMT

Chappers !

I hope you are comparing TTBL with BA in which case I'd agree.

Hope you are not being disparaging about TTBL generally !

No - I thought it was pretty ropey actually. A bit like an ITV sitcom.

One of the finest comedy actors ever.

Old rubberface...

Blackadder is, of course, genius. Some of Atkinson's pre-blackadder stuff is pretty great too. Check the early Secret Policeman's Balls if you can find them. Everything after that was utterly dreadful. Bean and, particularly, Johnny English are loathsome.

Richard Curtis (The Boat That Rocked) and Ben Elton (We Will Rock You) wrote Blackadder, Tony Robinson (Time Team) is now the Bill Oddie of archaeology, Tim McInnerny (nothing) may very well be dead for all I know. What happened? Was there some some of curse? How come Stephen Fry made it out alive?

Quote: bigfella @ March 6 2012, 5:58 PM GMT

To be fair the very first Mr Bean half hour TV show was fantastic.

So different to everything that was around at the time.

And yet so similar to what Jacques Tati was doing 30 years previous.

Tim McInnerny has been doing a lot of stage acting (he was breathtaking as Iago at the Globe a few years back) and guest starring roles in TV series like Hustle and Inspector George Gently. He's mostly doing straight acting - The Devil's Whore, Spooks etc. But he did just do Bleak Old Shop Of Stuff. I love it when he pops up on TV.

And I loved The Boat That Rocked!

Quote: notoriousrory @ March 20 2012, 7:36 AM GMT

Tony Robinson (Time Team)

Lol, how is that a bad thing? :)

Quote: Harridan @ March 20 2012, 7:42 AM GMT

Tim McInnerny has been doing a lot of stage acting (he was breathtaking as Iago at the Globe a few years back) and guest starring roles in TV series like Hustle and Inspector George Gently. He's mostly doing straight acting - The Devil's Whore, Spooks etc. But he did just do Bleak Old Shop Of Stuff. I love it when he pops up on TV.

And I loved The Boat That Rocked!

That's some excellent knowledge there Harridan. I know McInnerny was a respected 'straight' actor pre-Blackadder, and so the Iago thing makes total sense. I haven't seen the likes of Hustle, Spooks and Inspector George Gently (Dirk's dad?) so don't feel able to comment. 'The Boat That Rocked' however?

No.

Just no.

Quote: zooo @ March 20 2012, 10:47 AM GMT

Lol, how is that a bad thing? :)

Did I say it was a bad thing? Don't be so touchy. Not everything in parenthesis is evil.

Blackadder is, of course, genius. Some of Atkinson's pre-blackadder stuff is pretty great too. Check the early Secret Policeman's Balls if you can find them. Everything after that was utterly dreadful. Bean and, particularly, Johnny English are loathsome.

Richard Curtis (The Boat That Rocked) and Ben Elton (We Will Rock You) wrote Blackadder, Tony Robinson (Time Team) is now the Bill Oddie of archaeology, Tim McInnerny (nothing) may very well be dead for all I know. What happened? Was there some some of curse? How come Stephen Fry made it out alive?

Tim McInnerny does keep busy popping up as sinister civil servant types and Hugh Laurie's new life in a formulaic US TV show is more worthy than most of Curtis and Elton's post Blackadder efforts.

We Will Rock You may have seemed like a new low, but using your presentation of the Queen's Golden Jubilee bash in order to promote it really plumbed the depths (and I'm a republican).

But your analysis is basically correct.

Quote: notoriousrory @ March 23 2012, 4:26 AM GMT

Did I say it was a bad thing? Don't be so touchy. Not everything in parenthesis is evil.

You did rather imply it, what with, you know, the words you used and the tone you adopted, the comparisons you made and all that.

Quote: notoriousrory @ March 23 2012, 4:26 AM GMT

The whole asking if it was a curse thing for some reason made me think you were suggesting it was bad! My utmost apologies for misunderstanding... Unimpressed

Bean and, particularly, Johnny English are loathsome.

Not to everyone, I'm a fan of Mr Bean in particular, and pointless comparing Blackadder to Mr Bean, like comparing eggs to shoes. There is a terrible snobbishness around that some comedy is somehow more worthy than others, perhaps Rowan Atkinson felt like a change? or the idea for Mr Bean popped into his head and he went with it, I doubt he was led by greed.

Blackadder is, of course, genius.

Like it goes without saying...course it does, we'd all be ignorant toffee headed fools to not be fans wouldn't we.

I love Blackadder. I also love Mr Bean. And The Thin Blue Line. I also like what I've seen of Not The Nine O'Clock News. And I didn't take to it at first, but now really enjoy Johnny English too.

I fail to understand, in fact, how any true fan of comedy can fail to even appreciate the child-like, physical brilliance in Bean. A very different type of comedy to Blackadder, but written and performed to perfection.