Doug Stanhope the rising comic Page 3

Oh yeah, I didn't think about it like that. I see him for what he is now.

;)

Glad to have been of service :P

Quote: AJGO @ February 26 2012, 2:02 PM GMT

If one more person compares this puerile, mean-spirited moron to the graceful, clever, and funny Hicks I'll shove DS over to the new world order myself

Wait, wait, wait. Are you even talking about the same Doug Stanhope that we are? Because that doesn't sound like Stanhope at all. I think you meant that post for the Frankie Boyle thread.

Anyone going to see Doug on his UK tour?

I was not sure about going but when I found out Henry Phillips (Punching the Clown) is doing support.....well I think I will be booking tickets asap :)

Bill Hicks is great and Doug Stanhope is very good.....apart from the fact that they both do stand-up, I really don't see how they are similar. Its like comparing Pele to Dennis Wise :)

Quote: Bob Hicks @ March 8 2012, 2:01 PM GMT

Anyone going to see Doug on his UK tour?

I've got tickets for liverpool, can't wait. Henry Phillips is ace too.

The Pele/Wise thing is daft though. It's more like comparing Pele to Maradona, or Messi to Zidane.

Anyone listen to Stanhope's album yet, that came out 2 days ago?

Quote: JackDaniels2 @ March 8 2012, 7:18 PM GMT

The Pele/Wise thing is daft though. It's more like comparing Pele to Maradona, or Messi to Zidane.

It is daft, I agree. I just think comparing Hicks to Stanhope is daft too. I personally think they are VERY different in many ways and its lazy to compare the two. They might get angry at similar things but I think they get angry in very different ways. I would say Hicks was more of an optimist and Stanhope is more of a pessimist. Both funny as f**k though :)

Quote: Bob Hicks @ March 8 2012, 10:11 PM GMT

It is daft, I agree. I just think comparing Hicks to Stanhope is daft too. I personally think they are VERY different in many ways and its lazy to compare the two. They might get angry at similar things but I think they get angry in very different ways. I would say Hicks was more of an optimist and Stanhope is more of a pessimist. Both funny as f**k though :)

Agreed :)

New album is top drawer. His bit on songwriters/artists is worth the price on it's own.

New album kills - his output is surging since the Roadrunner signing :)

I rather liked him on Brooker's various shows. I thought he was more interesting than funny, though. He is playing a gig in my town, I wondered about getting tickets but I'm not sure I could handle him for two hours.

Doug has blogged about his ongoing beef (yeah, I said 'beef') with a Daily Telegraph columnist. It's a good read:

http://www.dougstanhope.com/

Yeah I read that. Good thing he's giving that idiot Allison Pearson a good mauling.

Quote: Gerry McDonnell @ April 8 2012, 1:51 PM BST

Doug has blogged about his ongoing beef (yeah, I said 'beef') with a Daily Telegraph columnist. It's a good read:

http://www.dougstanhope.com/

It's a fantastic read. He gives her a proper dressing down.

Quote: Monster Scum Bag @ February 26 2012, 11:16 AM GMT

I love this guy. He's one of my top 3 favourite comics and in my opinion the closest thing to Hicks yet.

What a f**king stupid thing to say. He's very much different to hicks both comically and politically. Hicks was a genius. Stanhope is shit. Fills his comedy with immensely lazy, half-arsed, barely worked out arguments and his dementedly f**ked up libertarian, free-market, money-obsessed nutjob philosophy. Can't really see what I thought was so good about him.

He's one of those people that because of his abrasive style, if you agree with him he's a "legend" and "saying it how it is" etc, but if you don't then he just seems like a dick. Have to say though, in that blog post linked above he was indeed a legend.

Quote: Monster Scum Bag @ July 14 2012, 3:14 PM BST

What a f**king stupid thing to say. He's very much different to hicks both comically and politically. Hicks was a genius. Stanhope is shit. Fills his comedy with immensely lazy, half-arsed, barely worked out arguments and his dementedly f**ked up libertarian, free-market, money-obsessed nutjob philosophy. Can't really see what I thought was so good about him.

You really gave yourself a dressing down there. Good/bad for you!