Doug Stanhope the rising comic

Anybody seen him live or on the telly? He's perhaps the most offensive comedian I've seen to date (but not in a bad way like Bernard Manning for example) simply because nothing is sacred with this guy and everything he says is sarcastic like a demented cross between Jerry Sadowitz and Bill Hicks. His stand up is not for the faint hearted and he has been so crass that people have walked out on him.

I've seen him do the Edinburgh circuit a couple of times. Anybody caught his show?

I really want to see him. Heard really great things. Had a chance to go and see him on Friday night but I couldn't go.

What did you think James? Is he going to be a grower?

I saw him in London last year. He was good in parts - other parts he tended to ramble aimlessly. If you like angry, shock-factor comedy, I'd recommend him. If you're not a fan of that kind of stuff, definitely stay away.

I heard he got chased out of a venue once for saying all Brits have sex with kids because British women are too ugly to rape.

Quote: Lee Henman @ September 7 2009, 11:27 AM BST

I heard he got chased out of a venue once for saying all Brits have sex with kids because British women are too ugly to rape.

He sounds brilliant. :|

Quote: Lee Henman @ September 7 2009, 11:27 AM BST

I hate it when people steal my act. This does sound rather up my street. I will check him out.

Ian Cognito was a fantastic old stand-up. His answer to a difficult crowd was usually to show them (literally) the size of his bollocks.

The dude has his moments but he's trying waaaaay to hard to be Bill Hicks in my opinion.

He's a little edgy even for me to be honest, he's funny in parts but I think he takes it a little to far for my taste.

Wow I can say jokes about a political hot potatoe!

Who's that skinny gay American comedian, who likes to really shock people? I saw him recently on Comedy Central, and he was saying stuff like: "Chinese guys are short and hairless - sort of like kids, only legal, so not as hot".

Scott Capurro?* Andy Dick?

(*though I think he's Canadian)

Yeah, I think it's Cappuro. He's definitely American, because he mentioned it in his routine.

They tend to mention they're American a lot, I find. The American comics. You've seen them...

Was Doug Stanhope on an episode of Screenwipe? The name rings a bell but I can't be bothered to check.

Well, if he's Canadian then he is still American. Just not United-States-of-American. :)

he can be shockingly funny but he goes waaaayyyy too far at times. I've not seen him perform his most crass stuff from what I've heard people say about him.

If you have a strong comedy stomouch then you have to see him at least once because he is really 'out there'. In my opinion Jerry Sadowitz is just as shocking after hearing a few of his jokes recently, the guy is getting more demented as the years go on.