The Future is Now..? Page 2

The 'swipey' thing on the iPad etc etc
Still fills me with wonder.

:( Feel tearful. No idea why? Crazy start to day.

OK I had an asthma attack last night,... guess that's the reason.

Quote: dellas @ February 29 2012, 7:13 AM GMT

:( Feel tearful. No idea why? Crazy start to day.

OK I had an asthma attack last night,... guess that's the reason.

That was the past, this is the future!

At first it's amazing that you can first a zillion songs on a thing the size of a postage stamp, then it becomes ordinary. Same with sat-navs and 3D TV. I think we've come to expect an accelerating pace of technological change, and so the only way we can be surprised now is if the rate of acceleration increases.

Playing emulator games from Spectrum days and thinking games used to look like.

Just touching stuff on a screen.

Not reading the instruction for my last couple of phones because well it's instinctual? Didn't some one used to want to know what my pop server was?

No longer looking stuff up at libraries.

Generally not remembering how I used to arrange to meet people before mobiles.

Looking at an advert for a retro bigtrack toy. And thinking wow it's just a remote control toy that makes noises.

Having not bought a CD in over 5 years, because all the music I want is free on Spotify or YouTube.

Buying a movie grades special fx/green screen pack for under £200.

For me, it was reading Marvel comics when I was young and seeing the advert for x-ray specs. When placed over the eyes, the wearer had the ability to see what type of underwear people had on.

Alas, I never got round to getting a pair. Does anyone know if they are they still available? The width of my face is quite normal and I'd like them in off-mauve colour if anybody can help out. Cheers :)

I was in a bookshop recently and saw a lovely 26 volume encyclopedia going cheap and I was a bit sad thinking how outdated the book form encyclopedia now was. There's just no need to own one if you have access to the internet because encyclopedias aren't necessarily more accurate because they're printed, they'relimited in the information they can include because they can't write 20 pages on each topic, and they're out of date the minute they leave the press. Same goes for biographical dictionaries and Who's Who books - unless you need to cite them as a source of information they're considerably less useful than wikipedia, now. I can't bear to get rid of them, though!

Old encyclopaedias are still an interesting document of how things used to be.

Quote: Nigel Kelly @ February 29 2012, 9:13 AM GMT

For me, it was reading Marvel comics when I was young and seeing the advert for x-ray specs. When placed over the eyes, the wearer had the ability to see what type of underwear people had on.

Alas, I never got round to getting a pair. Does anyone know if they are they still available? The width of my face is quite normal and I'd like them in off-mauve colour if anybody can help out. Cheers :)

I got a pair but they were abit strong for my liking.

They didn't let me see underwear, but I could gaze into the very depths of peoples souls.

Probably all the Apple stuff. Docile, apathetic meaningless, self-centred, shallow wastes of human resources blankly poking at a cold hard screen while the world around them shrivels and dies from lack of love.

A friend has a talking Vibrator. It says yes to everything she asks for. Based on that, I would say, the future is now!

Apparently there is a new vibrator out that doubles as a memory stick. I am honestly not making this up.

Quote: Timbo @ February 29 2012, 9:21 PM GMT

Apparently there is a new vibrator out that doubles as a memory stick. I am honestly not making this up.

Wow, a cock that remembers. Awesome!

Quote: Timbo @ February 29 2012, 9:21 PM GMT

is it plug and play ?

When I heard about those fancy fridges that have computers in the door. Still not sure of the point, to make your shopping list I supose.
Also the increasingly blurred line between TV and the internet.