Just a Big Hello from Grandad

Lovey Hi all just wanted to jump an here and say hellooo quite new to this Stand Up game but going to give is a good try as part of my 2012 challenge.

As I fast approach the age of 52 you find that the years just pass you by.. so decided to make the most of what's left and join the ranks of CRAZY folk :$ Any advice you have will be most welcome..

Thanks Mark

Wave

Hello!

Hey :D I'm pretty new to stand up as well myself so I can't give much advice really but if you want someone to help with idea's or talk about gigs with I'll happily help :D

Quote: James Hunter @ December 16 2011, 12:42 PM GMT

Hey :D I'm pretty new to stand up as well myself so I can't give much advice really but if you want someone to help with idea's or talk about gigs with I'll happily help :D

Thanks James.. yes any advice would be helpful.. I'm also publishing my stuff and ideas on Facebook any contributions will be most welcome cheers.. there is a link in my signature..

Thanks for the welcome guys.. Wave

Hello Mark, welcome aboard.

Quote: Mark M @ December 16 2011, 3:47 PM GMT

Thanks James.. yes any advice would be helpful.. I'm also publishing my stuff and ideas on Facebook any contributions will be most welcome cheers.. there is a link in my signature..

Thanks for the welcome guys.. Wave

Well if you want any help just ask I don't mind helping and I've had a look at the facebook page the video of your set is pretty good :). I have sadly yet to find someone with a decent camera to record mine

Welcome Mark M. Always nice to see a member older than me on here Wave

Quote: James Hunter @ December 16 2011, 5:07 PM GMT

Well if you want any help just ask I don't mind helping and I've had a look at the facebook page the video of your set is pretty good :). I have sadly yet to find someone with a decent camera to record mine

Thanks for checking out the video James.. I hope I can do better next time Whistling nnocently

Quote: Will Cam @ December 16 2011, 10:58 PM GMT

Thanks Will

Quote: Aaron @ December 16 2011, 3:57 PM GMT

Hello Mark, welcome aboard.

Cheers Aaron looking forward to getting to know you all, this is one of the best Forums I have found.. thanks

Quote: Mark M @ December 17 2011, 8:59 AM GMT

Thanks for checking out the video James.. I hope I can do better next time Whistling nnocently

It was good :) though with the joke in the video one piece of advice I would give is speed it up a little the build up the main joke (which is a rather good one in fairness) is a bit long. I would recommend either slipping more jokes in or making the build up a bit shorter. My unis comedy society vice pres always says with story based jokes you have to make a joke every 10 seconds for it to work well and I agree with him :)

But you are good you have lots of confidence something I myself struggle with. I have a bad habit of getting a bit nervous and sort of speaking to fast resulting in me butchering my own jokes

Thanks James.. good advice..I will try to speed up the gag or add more visual stuff.. as for confidence this comes with experience, keep at it my friend I am sure you will do OK..

Hello Mark, welcome

Quote: James Hunter @ December 16 2011, 5:07 PM GMT

buy a flip cam onebay they're about 50 squids

Quote: Will Cam @ December 16 2011, 10:58 PM GMT

This :D

Hi, Mark, and welcome

I've had a look at your video. Accents like yours are made for comedy - and I mean that in a good way :D so there's a positive start.
I didn't like that you kept laughing at your own quips. I attribute that down to nervousness, but it's off-putting. I agree the joke was too drawn out - so much so that the audience seemed to entirely miss the punchline when it finally arrived.
My advice - merely as a viewer - would be to get a couple of really strong jokes and keep hold of your audience. You want them gagging for the punchline, not wandering off for a shit!
I wouldn't be bothering to comment if I didn't think you could make a real good go of it. You can. Keep on keeping on and the very best of luck with the hardest job in the world.

Shirley Wave