I miss the '90s Page 2

Quote: youngian @ December 12 2011, 12:35 PM GMT

Its interesting that acts or made it in the 90s, oasis, Blur, Nirvanna, where influenced by 60s and 70s music.

They must be the first generation not to be inspired by the music of their teens.

It happens all the time.
There was a rock 'n' roll revival in the early 70's.
In about 1980, ska came back.
And 80's synthpop returned with bands like Goldfrapp and La Roux.

Nostalgia for the '90s is, possibly, the sweetest thing I have ever heard.

I miss having an easy label for the decade we're in. Nobody could ever agree what to call the last ten years (the zeroes? the noughties?), and this one's just as awkward (the tens? the teens?) I'm looking forward to the twenties.

I tend to think of decades according to the music at the time, I don't think the 90's music was all that great. Could name a few like Oasis, Take That and some of the Manchester scene bands maybe. Might need my memory jogging but seems noone too special came out of the 90's.

Quote: zooo @ December 12 2011, 12:29 PM GMT

I do agree to a point, Fezziwigl.
But as an aside, isn't doing random capitals and silly shouting very much part of the internet culture you're saying you don't like?

Zoo you got me there. I guess I like the internet culture TOO much. I fancy myself an "artist". I used to go out and read my poetry and "push" my music. The human element was exciting. Now I go on forums and try to be different . The medium is very limited. I'm using caps as an emphasis. I'm not a computer whiz. My wife is. I just find myself on the computer more then I should be.

I have always loved the sound of my own voice. Being able to get this"voice" out into the world is DAMN hard to resist.I'm weak. I want instant response. In the past I would create and hand out cassettes and poetry chaps and wait. Now BLAMMO instant art and instant critics. I find myself to be a reactionary artist. I go for CHEAP heat ie.. using caps and run-on sentences. It is too
easy. I miss bustin' REAL peoples stones :D

Quote: Shandonbelle @ December 12 2011, 12:57 PM GMT

I tend to think of decades according to the music at the time, I don't think the 90's music was all that great. Could name a few like Oasis, Take That and some of the Manchester scene bands maybe. Might need my memory jogging but seems noone too special came out of the 90's.

Radiohead?

Who they? ;)

Pulp are 90s. Best band ever.

Shed Seven were great, as were Echobelly. Catatonia produced a couple of really strong albums...

'90s always makes me think of grunge music.

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 12 2011, 12:20 PM GMT

Musn't grumble.

Mustn't*

Typo.

Quote: chipolata @ December 12 2011, 12:57 PM GMT

I miss having an easy label for the decade we're in. Nobody could ever agree what to call the last ten years (the zeroes? the noughties?), and this one's just as awkward (the tens? the teens?) I'm looking forward to the twenties.

Cip great point. I feel rudder-less. Lost adrift in a sea of information. I rely on "charisma" in life. You lose that on the NET! I got married in 2000. I always say"everything turned bad then" :S It seemed like the years became a blur. I found myself saying "what year is it?". Sensory overload. I will be in my 50's in the twenties. I can't believe it. I still feel like a R+R punk. :D

Quote: Shandonbelle @ December 12 2011, 12:57 PM GMT

Pulp, Blur, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Divine Comedy, Wilco, Elastica, Radiohead, Whiskeytown, Pavement, Weezer, (early) Suede, Beck, PJ Harvey; there's a few good ones off the top of my head.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ December 12 2011, 1:29 PM GMT

Pulp, Blur, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Divine Comedy, Wilco, Elastica, Radiohead, Whiskeytown, Pavement, Weezer, (early) Suede, Beck, PJ Harvey; there's a few good ones off the top of my head.

Matt they are some great bands. I saw PJ in 97. Pure sex!I sat in the bar while Nirvanna played. I think I took a pee next to Kurt? Good times. Cheap drinks and R+R!