US sitcoms Page 3

Scrubs, my favourite sitcom... EVER!

Arrested Developement another favourite of mine, along with The American Office, Andy Ritcher Controls The Unverse (shame it was cancelled.), The Simpsons. (animation, but still it's one of the greatest sitcoms in a way.)

Quote: Miranda Walker @ September 6, 2006, 6:42 PM

I read in last week's Broadcast that UKTV Gold have just picked up
The New Adventures of Old Christine, starring Julia Louis-Dreyfus of Seinfeld fame. No word on when it will be shown yet, but hopefully we won't have too long to wait.

I'm becoming worried that UKTV Gold will creepingly become USTV Now. I wish they'd stick to classic British shows. :(

Quote: Aaron @ September 8, 2006, 2:40 PM

I'm becoming worried that UKTV Gold will creepingly become USTV Now. I wish they'd stick to classic British shows. :(

Exactly! Why do they show so many US programs now?
Errr

My best guess would be that they're attempting to "keep up with the Jones's", so to speak.

They really should change the name. How can you have a channel called UK TV Gold and fill the schedules with US programmes? This is not a criticism of US programmes. I think that many of their sitcoms are far better than UK ones of late (Friends, Seinfeld, Arrested Development etc) but UK TV Gold was originally supposed to showcase classic UK shows.

I don't think that they are quite filling the schedules with US produce yet, but it's increasing; The A-Team, Prison Break, Murder, She Wrote, Baywatch, Columbo, In Justice, and it looks like they're showing a bit of Neighbours as well. So 7 shows. Although I think that they're all an hour long!

Seven US shows is a lot for a channel called UK TV Gold. A name change is in order.

scrubs scrubs scrubs srry but scrubs is best american program
8 simple rules comes kinda close on the rare occasion

M*A*S*H, Frasier, Arrested Development - that's my holy trinity of US sitcoms.
Mad About You, Scrubs and Spin City come close.
Then there's a bunch of guilty pleasures - Friends, Dharma & Greg, tghat 70s Show, 3rd From The Sun, ocassionally even Perfect Strangers ands Everybody Loves Raymond.

I've seen the first few episodes of Seinfeld and didn't like them at all.

3rd Rock is nothing to feel guilty about! Great show. :)

Now Dharma and Greg, that's a different story... ;)

Quote: Aaron @ November 6, 2006, 6:22 PM

Now Dharma and Greg, that's a different story... ;)

I remember when ITV had one of their 'relaunches' a few years ago, and Dharma & Greg was supposed to be one of their flagship programs. I never saw it but people always seem to slate it. Was it really that bad?

it's tim allens home improvement for me, a cleverly write sitcom, with great stories and its cosy?

Quote: Jay72 @ November 6, 2006, 9:01 PM

I remember when ITV had one of their 'relaunches' a few years ago, and Dharma & Greg was supposed to be one of their flagship programs. I never saw it but people always seem to slate it. Was it really that bad?

I only saw a few episodes but they were OK. I've seen worse. Jenna Elfman was good in it.

Quote: Jay72 @ November 6, 2006, 9:01 PM

No, it wasn't. Can't say I've seen it on, or advertised, anywhere other than Paramount. Like most shows, there were a few dodgy episodes, but on the whole it was pretty good. Quite a guilty pleasure though!

Dharma and Greg was definitely on ITV but it got quietly dropped very early on. It had an odd timeslot, I think about 22.30 which probably didn't help. Can't say i'll ever go out of my way to see it anyway.