Tips On Writer's Block

Hello, just thought I'd ask for tips to get around writer's block.

I'm writing at the moment and I know roughly where I want to go with it but I'm struggling [insert sad face]. Every time I open the document I write a paragraph or two and some dialogue but can't go any further. As I say, it's not that I don't know where I want to go with my script, it's just that I am struggling to put the words on paper, so to speak.

Is there a bit later that you're excited about getting to and writing? If so, write that bit; you can always adapt it later if needs be, and you'll be re-enthused and hopefully have some ideas for how to get there from what you're trying now.

ever noticed how people don't get "talkers block"? Simple answer is that we don't because we do it every single day. The cure for writers block is to write more, write anything, keep going. Yes you'll write shit, but you'll get through it, just need to train your brain. every day.

just start writing

sometimes a long fart preccedes the good shit

Writer's block is a luxury. When you've been paid or are getting paid to write you won't have writer's block. In the meantime Jack London said 'You can't wait for inspiration, you have to go after it with a club'. Writing, like any art, takes practice but it's a job, too, and most people work at least 7 hours a day. Just write, your pride won't let it be bad.

Cheers for the help.

I will be writing from now until forever......

Quote: writer for hire @ October 8 2011, 4:12 PM BST

Hello, just thought I'd ask for tips to get around writer's block.

I'm writing at the moment and I know roughly where I want to go with it but I'm struggling (insert sad face). Every time I open the document I write a paragraph or two and some dialogue but can't go any further. As I say, it's not that I don't know where I want to go with my script, it's just that I am struggling to put the words on paper, so to speak.

Is this your first stab at it?

Write first thing in the morning before you've had your coffee/tea.

A good Q.Tarantino tip to get things moving is take the last line you wrote and treat it as though you're an actor doing an improv, get up and walk around and start talking, acting etc and you're guaranteed to get the brain going with a different energy than staring at a blinking cursor, then write down whatever good stuff came out.

Works well for stand up too.

Quote: Buddy Sorrel @ October 8 2011, 8:38 PM BST

When you've been paid or are getting paid to write you won't have writer's block.

If only!

There is a well known writer who apparently wakes up in the morning, goes straight to his office to write, and he won't let himself go to the toilet until he's written 2,000 words or something.

Mad bastard.

Quote: zooo @ October 9 2011, 12:00 AM BST

There is a well known writer who apparently wakes up in the morning, goes straight to his office to write, and he won't let himself go to the toilet until he's written 2,000 words or something.

Is his office chair a commode?

Laughing out loud

Quote: Badge @ October 9 2011, 12:48 AM BST

Is his office chair a commode?

You would imagine there may be a fair few accidents.

Further to another posters comment, if you know where you want it to go - just get it there.
Write it bad, as they say.
Bad jokes, on-the-nose dialogue, clumsy exposition - but just get the bastasrd to the end.
Then go back and make it good.

And, actually, writing the script should be the last thing you do.
First write it like a little story - "A goes to meet B finds he's got an emu in his flat (this is a Rod Hull vehicle BTW) then learns that the vicars coming to tea so has to hide it in the attic - which is already full of Jews in hiding."

Then divide that into sequences - flesh out the details.
You might go as far as dividing those sequences into scenes or beats ('bits' really) - making a note of things that have to happen and funny stuff you'd like to fit in.

Now at least you have a map - and it's harder to get lost with a good map.

The other thing is always finish your writing session half-way through something. Don't write untill you're stuck. If you leave it knowing how you're going to continue, next time you'll approach it with much more enthusiasm and won't have that dreadful blank page moment when you start.

And if you've got a problem you can't solve, watch other people's stuff - see how they did it. Then adapt it to your situation.