Everyone with a TV read this (Bill Hicks) Page 5

Quote: Jack Daniels @ August 29 2011, 10:19 PM BST

I'm not copping out here Marc, but I'm genuinely NOT discussing religon, not here, not with you, not anywhere.

That explanation of the joke is a copy and paste.

That is all.

Well don't then :P

Bill Hicks?
Is that what you do after working for an American Yokel?

These are all free you know

Quote: Marc P @ August 29 2011, 10:13 PM BST

Why people make their faith public is why it is generally called a faith... otherwise is is masons or somesuch.

Not to open up a can of worms, I didn't read your post all the way through at first once I got the gist of it.... But I just have, and the above quote is quite possibly one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read.

Anyone with even primary-school levels of awareness of monastic vows wouldn't think that.

You're probably a lot smarter than me Marc, but in the rush to counter argue I think you got that idea very wrong.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ August 29 2011, 10:28 PM BST

These are all free you know

It's what he would've wanted :)

Quote: Jack Daniels @ August 29 2011, 9:57 PM BST

That's excellent.

And westcountryman, sorry if it seemed I was trying to insult you, I promise I weren't. I weren't judging you, I was just judging the things you've posted, that I've read. Crossed wires is all.

I suppose the line between careful criticism and flinging personal insults is very blurred....my mistake.

[I edited out the word of course from the end of this sentence, from now on you no doubt want me to log my edits to posts. I was going to add a smilie, I clicked a couple and then got rid of them without updating the post.]

Quote: Westcountryman @ August 30 2011, 12:06 AM BST

from now on you no doubt want me to log my edits to posts.

To be honest I hadn't given it much thought.

No doubt it would have been the act of a pseudo-intellectual(like knowing this term is hyphenated.) to have done so.

Let's stop bickering, shall we? :)

Bill Hicks would not approve.

Quote: Westcountryman @ August 30 2011, 12:06 AM BST

no doubt want me to log my edits

Quote: Westcountryman @ August 30 2011, 12:22 AM BST

No doubt it would have been the act of a pseudo-intellectual

No doubt over using the words "no doubt" when making a point about things where there clearly IS doubt, is a bit silly.

I saw that Zooo. You didn't log it.

Quote: zooo @ August 30 2011, 12:28 AM BST

Let's stop bickering, shall we? :)

Bill Hicks would not approve.

Sorry Zooo, thought you were out of the room, like when a teacher goes to get fresh chalk or something and everyone misbehaves :)

Quote: Jack Daniels @ August 30 2011, 12:30 AM BST

No doubt over using the words "no doubt" when making a point about things where there clearly IS doubt, is a bit silly.

Indeed, I have only half-digested the concept I'm afraid.

No doubt(oh shit I did it again!) you will be judging what I posted and giving careful criticism which is in no sense an insult; like these are the words of a total wanker and so forth - that sort of constructive criticism.

Quote: Jack Daniels @ August 30 2011, 12:32 AM BST

Sorry Zooo, thought you were out of the room, like when a teacher goes to get fresh chalk or something and everyone misbehaves :)

I've got chalk and I'm going to start throwing it at heads in a minute!

Okay, okay, calm down, you're in Australia, right? Go and catch some sun, surf some waves, don't let my simpleton ways bother you.

What would Shakespeare, Bach, Mozart, Chaucer, Freud, Aristotle and Chomsky make of such foolishness?

*Officially out of the thread now Miss*

Quote: Jack Daniels @ August 30 2011, 12:42 AM BST

Okay, okay, calm down, you're in Australia, right? Go and catch some sun, surf some waves, don't let my simpleton ways bother you.

You spelled hypocritical wrong.

Quote: Jack Daniels @ August 30 2011, 12:42 AM BST

What would Shakespeare, Bach, Mozart, Chaucer, Freud, Aristotle and Chomsky make of such foolishness?

They'd probably have to ask Bill Hicks.

Hicks could no doubt sum up the whole issue in a three line gag.

Quote: Jack Daniels @ August 30 2011, 12:44 AM BST

What would Shakespeare, Bach, Mozart, Chaucer, Freud, Aristotle, Chomsky & Sunshine make of such foolishness?

Personally, I'm not bothered, but those other guys...