Everyone with a TV read this (Bill Hicks) Page 2

What does it say about me, other than I admit to not understanding politics, particularly references to American politics and politicians. ;)

There's a special place in Heaven reserved for people like Stott.
Sootyj, I figured as much.

I thought you'd dig him Lee, really, I believe, this link; www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytnujFxBotw
is the funniest two minutes in the history of stand up.

Give him another whirl Lee, now you're a bit older some things may resonate. One Night Stand isn't the best (That would be Relentless or Rant In E-Minor) but still, it's pretty funny for a fluffed up, edited TV piece.

Even his sets from when he was 21 are pretty edgy, like Stott says not outwardly political, but definitely social/religous satire - Not actual religon itself, more of peoples role-play attitude towards it.

What always set him apart for me personally, in my teens when you're at that phase where you're not yet jaded, and you're finding your voice and you become inspired by artists. Like Bukowski's novels, or The Doors' L.A Woman or Scorcese, or whatever, and you realise that somebody is so great at what they do, it gives you an adrelalin rush. That's why I have so much respect for his work.

The man wore his heart on his sleeve, no commercial agenda, no compromise or crowdpleasing hack middle-of-the-road observations to keep the 'wholesome' pretend-to-be-sensitive and pretend-to-be-offended majority happy. Just pure mastery of an artform. Put credibillity before financial gain. Truly gained critical appreciation post-humously, which is a shame, but kind of bittersweet in keeping with his worldview.

Quote: Leevil @ August 27 2011, 4:43 PM BST

What's left after that? Some sick jokes and angry antidotes?

Nah, other stuff too, about creationists, drugs, rednecks, airplanes, all sorts. There's one famous gag about Christians wearing a cross, comparing it to JFK:

"A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. You think when Jesus comes back he ever wants to see a cross? It's like going up to Jackie Onassis wearing a rifle pendant."

Okay, I'll give him another go. I'll watch that clip later J.D thanks. Stott, all that stuff sounds good. Like Jack mentioned, if it wasn't his greatest show. I suppose I could give him a second chance. :)

Did everyone with a TV watch it?

So inspiring and amazing and brilliant and sad. There's footage there that I never ever seen. I feel compelled to just write and perform and make films and play drums and all the things that matter and never sleep again, as opposed to all the stupid shit that does not matter in the slightest yet demmands 90% of our time on earth.

Grab a pen people! Use your inner passion and inner voice to Create Something, anything, before time runs out and you're left kicking yourself into a state of "If Only"!

The repeat's on now!! bbc4.

Liked Bill Hicks back when he was around & have taped the shows tonight.
But I can see why people wouldn't understand the all the hype nowadays.
He always had something to say, which is great to see, but when I listen back to some of his routines now, I don't really laugh very much, if at all.
It's clever & passionate & confrontational but not always that funny.
If I hadn't seen him & he was recommended to me now I don't think I'd understand what all the fuss was about.

I watched a bit of both, even the audience didn't seem to laugh much. It seems to me that his appeal is that he's saying stuff that his fans agree with... He was pretty much telling people what to think re: Basic Instinct and accusing the makers of doing the same through advertising with no apparent sense of irony...

It's tragic that he died so young, but I agree with Sooty and think it's dated and over rated, by some at least. And it's not like saying BI is shit and kids on planes are annoying is particularly profound by any means. I assume his fans think the things he says need to be said and love all things American, and overlook the fact he's not that funny.

It reminds me of Mark Thomas.
I do like his stuf when I hear it, but I preferred him when he was a comedian as opposed to an activist

Quote: Vader @ August 28 2011, 1:57 AM BST

I assume his fans think the things he says need to be said and love all things American, and overlook the fact he's not that funny.

You assume wrong Vader. He is funny, although, laughter isn't the obvious equation for stand up. Someone who doesn't give a shit may think funny = laughter, but not really, people laugh at You've Been Framed. People laugh at a fart in a school exam.

I've had many a time in a comedy club where I'm watching someone and thinking 'I'm really enjoying this' but I'm not actually laughing. But I'm entertained.

The Basic Instinct joke isn't about Basic Instinct, it's the subtext of test audiences determining the edit of a film being ridiculous, and the fact phoney debates and hysteria are whipped up over the flimsiest of non-issues.

JD it's fairly obvious that the guy is switched on and funny,or it should be?

The only thing your not taking into the equation is just how subjective comedy can be. I tell you this site and its posters has really opened my eyes to that factor.

Perhaps if he had a dog?

I don't really like Hicks. I mean, I agree with a lot of what he says, but I feel more like I'm listening to a pastor than a comedian.

Not really fond of having someone yelling their opinions at me, myself.

Nice answer, it helps me understand why your on here posting instead of being at church.

I know what you mean, but at least you understand the set up and can see the craft, even if it doesn't flick your switch.

His influence can't be understated and it is a positive one, if you blank out his loathsome plagiarist Dennis Leary.

He paved the way for for a number of left-field US comics to come over here who I enjoy immensely. Rich Hall and Doug Stanhope spring to mind.

His politics were very individual and thought provoking as well. I wouldn't of thought defending the Waco based sect would of have been popular with a liberal leaning audience.

For anyone not that familiar with Bill but that watched last nights show - I would recommend you buy/download his show "Arizona Bay"

Its his best work in audio form IMO - supreme stand up comedy at its best from beginning to end

anyone who say Bill 'wasnt funny' - listen to that and tell me his want funny! tosh

The thing I admire most about Bill was the way he refused to be pushed around and dictated to be the idiots in the American media he had to deal with when trying to put his stuff out to the masses.

He refused to be a sell out bitch like so many other comics at the time.

Thats why he loved being in the UK so much -he could do and say whatever the f**k he wanted to - and the fans in the Uk worshipped him

my favourite ever bit o' Hicks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPf3BDzRA2o

genius