Advice on representation Page 2

Quote: AJGO @ August 14 2011, 12:44 PM BST

If you have an agent, are you then obliged to arrange any work through them even if you found it yourself/were offered it directly as a result of previous work or enquiries?

Contractually obliged yes. Unless it is in a specific area not covered by your contract.

So if you have to do all the groundwork yourself to have enough of a CV to get taken on by an agent, is there really much point? I know they may be able to introduce you to opportunities, but only after you've worked out how to get stuff seen and made your own contacts anyway. Is it not a better idea to keep all your hard-earned money yourself?!

Quote: AJGO @ August 14 2011, 1:16 PM BST

So if you have to do all the groundwork yourself to have enough of a CV to get taken on by an agent, is there really much point? I know they may be able to introduce you to opportunities, but only after you've worked out how to get stuff seen and made your own contacts anyway. Is it not a better idea to keep all your hard-earned money yourself?!

Try reading an option agreement.
Bloody gobbledegook.
Plus they'll usually get you a better deal - stop you getting shafted.
Plus the fact that you having an agent gives producers and ProdCos confidence in your abilities - many won't even look at stuff unless it comes through an agent.
And they only earn when you earn.
If you're getting regular work, you need one.

Getting one is the problem.

Quote: AJGO @ August 14 2011, 1:16 PM BST

Agents do the deals and negotiate and sell rights in other territories, formats etc. And they are tax deductible and take you out for nice lunches.

Quote: Marc P @ August 15 2011, 11:40 AM BST

And they are tax deductible and take you out for nice lunches.

*begins to understand rioters anger*

Quote: chipolata @ August 15 2011, 11:47 AM BST

*begins to understand rioters anger*

It wasn't Waterstones they were smashing up you notice!

Quote: Marc P @ August 15 2011, 11:58 AM BST

Same reason there weren't any placards.

Quote: Marc P @ August 15 2011, 11:58 AM BST

Just re-read that and it suddenly made sense. Have been puzzling all afternoon about what sort of insult 'you notice' is

Quote: Tim Azure @ August 14 2011, 9:52 AM BST

I supposed as a writer/performer you expect the agent to do everything to help you...

I think I meant Matthew that an agent will be there to help you, rather than being your only source to find work.

I've tried a few latley, as I've written a spec script that I want a specific company to read, but it has to be submitted through an agent. Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Quote: AJGO @ August 15 2011, 4:42 PM BST

Just re-read that and it suddenly made sense. Have been puzzling all afternoon about what sort of insult 'you notice' is

Thats a definite three Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

Quote: AJGO @ August 15 2011, 4:42 PM BST

Lol, I did think he'd misspelled nonce for a second.