The Detectives Page 3

... loved it!!!!!!!

(although I had a horrible old VHS copy, so need to re-visit that issue soon)

All the best! :)

Obviously I've seen clips of the series before but I've finally got round to buying all the DVDs and watching them. It's a really great series with two leads that have a great chemistry also nice to see lots of guest appearances from well known faces. Makes me want to bring my incompetent copper character back although I think I'll resist for now.

It really is a wonderful show, and very underrated, isn't it? Really enjoyable.

Quote: Aaron @ June 12 2011, 8:04 PM BST

It really is a wonderful show, and very underrated, isn't it? Really enjoyable.

Yeah very much show. I knew it was good but I didn't think it was a good as it is. Loved the episode in series two with Herbert Lom, a nice nod to The Pink Panther.

I haven't seen it since it was first broadcast, but I remember at the time that I loved The Detectives when it was just sketches on Carrot's sketch show, and feeling slightly underwhelmed when they moved into a full sitcom as I was expecting a lot.

I've never seen the original sketches. I don't think they're online. I did have a search for them as it would be interesting to see where the show came from.

Here you go, James.

See Amazon product listing
[p=http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/-/2505/1772/-/18696540/Jasper-Carrott-Canned-Carrott-Volume-1/Product.html]
[h=962911]

Quote: youngian @ February 4 2011, 2:04 PM BST

Isn't Robert Powell married to beautiful Babs?

Not sure what her name is but she was in Pan's People.

That was the Porridge joke wasn't it!

Were they spoofing any particular show, or just crime dramas in particular? It definitely seemed to have a crime drama setup.

Yes, definitely a fan of this one. Powell and Carrot worked well together.
Always remember the one where they have to get all the last names of the football teams...

I like it too.

For me though, they peaked early with the FA cup final day/hostage episode.

Glorious!

Never quite hit those heights again IMO.

Quote: Tim Azure @ June 21 2011, 1:57 PM BST

Were they spoofing any particular show, or just crime dramas in particular? It definitely seemed to have a crime drama setup.

I know George Sewell was spoofing a role he had played in the cop show Special Branch. IIRC the music that introduced the Detectives sketch on Canned Carrott was similar to The Sweeney theme or might have been the same tune can't remember

Quote: Aaron @ April 12 2007, 7:53 AM BST

It is, of course, all out on DVD now!

I saw an episode back in the day (specifically the freemason one) and loved it, and never managed to catch it again. Then went looking for it on Amazon UK last time I was grabbing a batch of DVDs and got season 1. I laughed so hard, it's wonderful.

Season 2 on its way with my current order.

Quote: lofthouse @ June 21 2011, 9:25 PM BST

I like it too.

For me though, they peaked early with the FA cup final day/hostage episode.

Glorious!

Never quite hit those heights again IMO.

That's my favourite episode of season 1. Nice to see a young Phillip Glenister in there as well, straight after I did a Life on Mars/Ashes to ashes marathon.

I had never heard of this show. I'm very excited, I was running out of British comedies to buy. Now I'm gonna definitely check it out on YouTube.

N.B. I managed to find an episode on YouTube, called 'playing the blind guy' I think, and it was pretty good; unusual and quite different to The Thin Blue Line, that other great 90s Police sitcom, but pretty good. Thanks Dave.

Couldnt see what all the fuss was about - very predictable and quite unfunny!