Is Green Wing a feminist sitcom?

Does anyone else think that Green Wing is a feminist sitcom? It seems that most fans are women, the number of female stars in it, and Victoria Pile's own views on women in comedy, do seem to indicate this view.

Actually, this might be an interesting thing to ask the writers when they are being interviewed.

Im a fan, and im not a woman. At least, not anymore.

Well, it can be both feminist and directed at male viewers too!

I suppose if you mean it's a show that has just as many genuinely funny women in it as men (if not more) then yeah, it is. :)

i agree with zooo-i definitely think the prime characters are ery funny females-and it could definitely be percieved as more female orientated with the relationships and all

I'd say no. It has a feminine streak to it, yes, but that's not detrimental to the male characters or more 'masculine' aspects of the storyline.

As for the female fans, well that's debatable. My view is that women are just more likely to become obsessive fan-types, so whilst men do love the show, they don't feel the need to get together and go to conventions or whatever in quite the same way.

(Why they don't, or why women do, is beyond me, however.)

Definitely not feminist. Just cos it's written by women and there's lots of strong female characters.

I don't like Ab Fab, Vicar of Dibley, dinnerladies - but I do like Victoria Wood and Dawn French. Green Wing is just bloody funny and cleverly written.

No it's not feminist because it's not man-hating and the women arn't all ugly.

Bloody hell, where did you drag this old thread up from? :)

Quote: Aaron @ February 9, 2007, 1:09 PM

I'd say no. It has a feminine streak to it, yes, but that's not detrimental to the male characters or more 'masculine' aspects of the storyline.

Something doesn't have to be detrimental to men to be feminist, does it? Maybe only if it's extreme feminists. Like extreme Muslim fundamentalists. They're all mental.

Quote: Aaron @ February 9, 2007, 1:09 PM

As for the female fans, well that's debatable. My view is that women are just more likely to become obsessive fan-types, so whilst men do love the show, they don't feel the need to get together and go to conventions or whatever in quite the same way.
(Why they don't, or why women do, is beyond me, however.)

I have three words for you. Star Trek Conventions.

Quote: zooo @ January 6, 2008, 12:08 PM

Something doesn't have to be detrimental to men to be feminist, does it? Maybe only if it's extreme feminists. Like extreme Muslim fundamentalists. They're all mental.

No, true, true. I just don't think there's the kind of 'feminist' balance towards the female characters, is there? Everyone's as stupid as each other, and the main characters are mostly male. Is there anything particularly feminist about it?

Quote: zooo @ January 6, 2008, 12:08 PM

I have three words for you. Star Trek Conventions.

One programme out of thousands! There are always exceptions of course, no doubt about it, but in my experience it's just been that females are more likely to get more fan-y about shows than men. In any case, the type of people who attend Star Trek (and alike) conventions aren't quiiiite as easily definable along male/female lines in the same way, I don't think?

You mean you can't tell what they are from looking at them?

:)

Ha ha, yes, ok, something like that.

Listen, I'm very interested to know why men have not joined in the GW events that have been organised.

Mark will remember being monopolised by a few earnest women of a certain age last January - has he recovered yet? Were all the men at home watching Kylie, then?

There was a get together last Saturday evening in a pub in London where about 25 women watched S1 ep 5 & 6, along with S2 ep 4, and the phenomenon thingy from the extra disk in the definitive edition.

We had such a great time, yet I did feel that it would have been really interesting to get a few male views re GW, although among those present there were many differing views on GW anyway, so I don't think there's a straightforward male/female prespective.

Come on - what could be more fun than sitting on a leather banquette wedged between some cuddly women with a few white wines too many in them?

photos and comments are available on the convention website, if you dare to take a peek!

Hi Sylvia. Any chance that there was a bit of drooling going on, over certain male cast members?

And that would have been a good chance to post a link to the Website!

well, there was a bit of drooling, here and there, but mostly there was a lot of muttering from me about how both Mogadon Mac and Gruesome Guy treated Caroline so badly, and what a fool she was for putting up with it all.

Oh, and I forgot to mention - something perhaps the men would have been interested in - there was a fiendishly difficult quiz! Anyone interested should contact Faeriequeen on the convention website for more info - she organised the event and devised the quiz.

http://excoboard.com/exco/index.php?boardid=17848

It is'nt feminist in my eyes, it just is. It just is brilliant and funny. And just is what it is. No box, just perfect. If the majority of fans are women perhaps its because GW requires a very special kind of intellect only found in women, if one is to find it amusing!

Gee i think i just said something that caould be classified as feminist! Yuk! Sick

Perhaps it is thought to be feminist because the women (primarily Sue and Joanna) are the ones who are most sexually perverse!? The image of Joanna humping a bed comes to mind! And the guys (excluding Guy of course) are not quite so dirty . . .

http://www.hitflip.de/dvds/