Michael McIntyre! Page 8

Quote: AJGO @ July 19 2011, 10:44 AM BST

It was terribly sad when he said his wife was at the British Comedy Awards to see him win, and had a new dress, and had to sit there with everyone slagging him off- hope those comedians are very ashamed of themselves

That puts it in perspective. As someone else said, they should grow up and stop being so self regarding and jealous. There is more to life than their stupid stand-up! It seems to me thay've put so much importance into their careers and images that they've forgotten the basics in life!

Along comes a well adjusted family man who just happens to have a funny and clean act that people want now, and they cannot handle it, being mostly like immature laddish blokes who've created a laddish club which they thought, deludedly, defined the very pulse of stand-up comedy. An old-fashioned outsider comes along and proves to be more popular!

I think it's all a great laugh, but quite sad at the same time. The above post about his wife puts it all in perspective! The main ring leaders of this nonsense, and I suspect that embittered gobshite Lee is one, should really take a look at themselves, and their rather sad, unbalanced lives.

All right, Kipper, let's keep it in perspective. They overstepped the mark at an awards ceremony and picked on somebody. Not nice, but there are worse things in the world.

The Daily Mail article about McIntyre may be best taken with a pinch of salt, given that the person who wrote the article is Jan Moir (the woman who caused the stir over the death of Stephen Gately).

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ July 19 2011, 10:26 AM BST

I don't disagree but aren't they pretty much all guilty of this, that lefty lot? Sayle himself lives in Bloomsbury now, not really a place you'd expect Marxist comedians from Liverpool to be residing. Sayle also did a fair few adverts, Ben Elton famously said he'd never sell out and do ads and I think he's kept to this! He just does lucrative musicals with Lloyd Webber. Those two will never get on, but neither has any moral upper ground, they are both ambitious people who love money and couldn't do a proper job if they wanted to.

Heyday Sayle did a great book 'Geoffrey the Tube Train and the Fat Comedian' in which there's a scene about comedian hell. Like Dante's Inferno it's in levels depending on the depravity of your crime - US sitcoms, ITV game-shows etc - and the very last level is... ADVERTS. Five years later he did a Woolworth's voice-over, pretty funny! At least Elton never did that. But then again, it'd be difficult, his tongue is wedged too far up Lloyd Webber's jacksie.
Back on topic - MM is slimy, mainstream, trad... and uproariously funny. Isn't that the main thing?

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ July 19 2011, 12:54 PM BST

Back on topic - MM is slimy...

I think unctuous is the word, basically what most people see as overflattering. No wonder most comics don't like it.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ July 19 2011, 10:26 AM BST

Sayle himself lives in Bloomsbury now, not really a place you'd expect Marxist comedians from Liverpool to be residing.

Sayle's quite open about no longer being a Marxist. Apparently because "It didn't exactly work out, did it?"

Still definitely of the left, mind, so the Bloomsbury point stands.

Quote: Tony Cowards @ July 19 2011, 11:13 AM BST

Also I find it slightly odd that a comedian, who relies on taking the piss, however gently, out of regular people (he made some slightly scathing remarks aimed toward The Apprentice candidates on the "You've Been Hired" programme for instance) can't seem to take it when it's aimed in his direction.

But there is a slight difference between one man making comments about a group of people who have knowingly and willingly signed up to appear on a national television programme that exists purely to make them look idiots; and one man being roundly attacked by numerous supposedly mature peers, who should know very well from their own experience just how much he'd have fought to achieve his success.

It's more akin to an Apprentice candidate who was thrown out 3rd, mocking the final firee, for their failings.

I am not sure what to think about this. Though I do think that as usual, the media have hyped this up in order to get a story.

McIntyre is good at what he does, though this might not push comedy into new grounds and may not appeal to all, it's harmless fun.

Jan Moir, on the other hand, has cooked up a story out of misquoting, and seems to have totally missed Stewart Lee's irony, and what's worse she has lumped him in with Frankie Boyle.

Quote: Daily Mail

Stewart Lee, McIntyre's chief tormentor, has form in this department. Referring to the car accident that left Top Gear presenter Richard Hammond with brain damage, Lee quipped: 'I wish he'd been decapitated, and that his head had rolled off in front of his wife.'

When fellow Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson described the then Prime Minister Gordon Brown as a 'one-eyed Scottish idiot', Lee responded by saying he hoped 'Clarkson's children go blind'.

Lee claims he was making a point about bullying, but the viciousness is breathtaking. Which brings us to Frankie Boyle, the malcontent Scottish comedian who thinks it is funny to make jokes about child rape, Madeleine McCann and, famously, Katie Price's blind, autistic son, Harvey.

Ridiculous.

She is demonstrably a moron.

Yeah, but who else slagged off MM and what did they say???

Also, in many ways Lee says worse things than Boyle, neither of them mean these things, so it seems stupid to excuse one, but not the other.

This is quite funny: http://www.chortle.co.uk/features/2011/07/19/13653/stewart_lee%3A_what_i_really_think_about_michael_mcintyre

Dan

Quote: Vader @ July 19 2011, 3:08 PM BST

Yeah, but who else slagged off MM and what did they say???

Also, in many ways Lee says worse things than Boyle, neither of them mean these things, so it seems stupid to excuse one, but not the other.

Do we actually know what anyone has said to McIntyre? Aren't the Lee and Boyle quotes taken out of context from one of their shows?

The difference between Lee and Boyle is that Boyle will make "jokes" about child rape and that is the joke. Lee will satirise someone, underlining their faux pas by making one himself, and therefore exposing how nasty it is.

I've only been talking about the comments made on stage at the Comedy awards (not as part of anyone's stand up set on other occasions). Unfortunately I really can't remember who they were!

The ironic thing is, McIntyre's getting a lot of free publicity out of this, they've probably done him a favour!

Quote: Roxy @ July 19 2011, 2:51 PM BST

McIntyre is good at what he does, though this might not push comedy into new grounds and may not appeal to all.

They said that about Adolf Hitler.
Haven't seen much of MM, but I remember he made me laugh.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ July 19 2011, 3:40 PM BST

They said that about Adolf Hitler.

:D He might not have been pushing comedy into new grounds, but he was sure keen on acquiring them.