Sitcom Trials Manchester 2011 - scripts invited Page 18

Quote: bushbaby @ June 23 2011, 12:54 PM BST

It's mainly telling though, not showing ;)

Exposition, innit...!

Quote: RedZed333 @ June 23 2011, 12:57 PM BST

Exposition, innit...!

I know and that's what 'they' say not to do. :)

Oops I think we are going off topic again, Kev asked could we keep this thread for voting...sorry Kev

Quote: bushbaby @ June 23 2011, 12:54 PM BST

I don't really know what you mean Marc. the advice to the aspirant chef is fine but if he proceeds to just make a hash and nothing else, he hasn't followed the simple instructions :D

That's alright BB a lot of people don't. Putting some one up a tree is not an act. It's the end of the act. You have to build the tree first. And you don't just have people throw stones - that's not funny, what you do is have him try to extricate himself and by his actions compound his problems so there is no solution in sight and people can throw stones as he does this, that is the end of act two. You then cleverly take what you have written already and in an unexpected way get him out of the tree and demolish the tree so he can start building the tree again in the next ep and that is the end of Act 3. Status Quo ante foliage.

Quote: RedZed333 @ June 23 2011, 12:57 PM BST

Exposition, innit...!

All story telling is exposition.

Quote: Marc P @ June 23 2011, 1:02 PM BST

That's alright BB a lot of people don't. Putting some one up a tree is not an act. It's the end of the act. You have to build the tree first. And you don't just have people throw stones - that's not funny, what you do is have him try to extricate himself and by his actions compound his problems so there is no solution in sight and people can throw stones as he does this, that is the end of act two. You then cleverly take what you have written already and in an unexpected way get him out of the tree and demolish the tree so he can start building the tree again in the next ep and that is the end of Act 3. Status Quo ante foliage.

All story telling is exposition.

I think maybe you take it too literally, the throwing stones is putting obstacles for the character/s to overcome..i.e... the muddle :)
Yes story telling is exposition but sitcom should be showing :)
But who am I to say, my writing never gets anywhere anyway :D

Have you ever tried getting two old age pensioners up a tree..?

Quote: RedZed333 @ June 23 2011, 1:08 PM BST

Have you ever tried getting two old age pensioners up a tree..?

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

Quote: bushbaby @ June 23 2011, 1:04 PM BST

I think maybe you take it too literally, the throwing stones is putting obstacles for the character/s to overcome..i.e... the muddle :)
Yes story telling is exposition but sitcom should be showing :)
But who am I to say, my writing never gets anywhere anyway :D

It's a play on words. Not a useful paradigm for people to work with. Exposition is showing. It's how you do it that counts.

Count how many gags/comedy moments in a sitcom such as Not Going Out for example, then separate them into a 'tell pile' and a 'show pile'...

Tell pile wins by a mile...

Quote: RedZed333 @ June 23 2011, 1:12 PM BST

Count how many gags/comedy moments in a sitcom such as Not Going Out for example, then separate them into a 'tell pile' and a 'show pile'...

Tell pile wins by a mile...

We are watching a character demonstrate his character - it's called showing even though he is telling a gag and it is within the context of the situation.

Quote: Marc P @ June 23 2011, 1:10 PM BST

It's a play on words. Not a useful paradigm for people to work with. Exposition is showing. It's how you do it that counts.

yes, I think what I meant is that exposition can be used as showing or explaining......or something :D
We should perhaps open a new thread, its quite an interesting subject to discuss

Quote: Marc P @ June 23 2011, 1:14 PM BST

We are watching a character demonstrate his character - it's called showing even though he is telling a gag and it is within the context of the situation.

You mean like Bob in Shit Happens..?

See, BushBaby, I knew I was f**king right..!

Quote: RedZed333 @ June 23 2011, 1:21 PM BST

It gets confusing, eh? Well, it is becoming confusing to me :)

Bob out of interest, why don't you write the beginning of the sitcom where Elsie falls and see where it takes you. I don't mean rewrite the whole thing, just see how it fares/progresses differently to the original one. I meant just as an exercise, then put it up on the critique forum ;)

Quote: RedZed333 @ June 23 2011, 1:21 PM BST

Sorry I haven't read that but I have watched Not GOing Out.

Quote: Marc P @ June 23 2011, 1:02 PM BST

I haven't put a single tree in my script. I feel like such a fool...

Quote: Badge @ June 23 2011, 11:49 AM BST

Four years? Loser! I did mine in 3.

I'm an M.Math. Which will never be funny, regardless of any honour bestowed on me, by the queen...

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ June 23 2011, 1:27 PM BST

I haven't put a single tree in my script. I feel like such a fool...

Dan

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud
Well, I've barked up a few wrong ones in my time ;)