I need your help and opinion on an idea of mine...

I need your opinion on ideas I have at the moment, I felt like experimenting with sarcasm and surrealism ... Which idea is better? .. Are they funny?? How can I improve? ... And keep in mind these are just ideas ...

1. When you talk to people they always seem to make their lives sound more interesting and complicated than yours so you feel obliged to lie about how interesting and complicated your life is, and some people tend to exaggerate a little:
"well, what happened is I woke up this morning and a possom slapped me in the face with a ham sandwich so I ran downstairs to have some breakfast but all we had left in the house was gold so I ate that with some milk, then I went to get dressed but had to wear odd shoes because my one footed twin sister was wearing my other shoe so I borrowed on of my husbands trainers instead, and as I went to get into my bat - mobile, I spotted David Hasslehoff sleeping in my boot but ignored it and went to work ... As you do ..."

2. You often hear people bragging about how amazing and complicated their lives are so you tend to talk crap about your life and lie about how amazingly complex your life is:
" I woke up this morning and a possom slapped me in the face with a ham sandwich so I stood on my escalators to get some breakfast but all we had in the house was vaseline so I ate that with milk, I then went to get dressed but had to wear odd shoes because my one footed twin sister was wearing my other shoe so I borrowed one of my husbands trainers ... But before I left the house I had to feed a part of my brain to the squirrels, but as I climbed into my bat mobile I spotted David Hasslehoff hiding in my boot but I decided to ignore it and just drove to work ... As you do ... "

What's this for?

Intro line is too long and it explains everything that you're about to say.

The main section is just odd and doesn't really go anywhere.

It was just an idea I had for stand up ... I was aiming for something odd and surreal, because my theory was that people generally laugh at what is unexpected or bizzare ... I just wanted to be a little less predictable ... But I guess I won't know until I try it out ...

Thanks for the critisism by the way.

It's fine bizarre and surreal is fine.

But look at Boosh or Eddie Izzard. And note how under the surreal outer layer it's actually pretty conservative and structured.

Infact if you've got nothing better to do contrast Boosh with Morcambe and Wise.

Could you post a picture of a Possum, I know the Clampetts swore by them in stew, but I don't think I've ever seen one.

Have you thought about working behind the bar in the comedy club?

Quote: sootyj @ June 9 2011, 1:46 PM BST

But look at Boosh or Eddie Izzard. And note how under the surreal outer layer it's actually pretty conservative and structured.

What Sootyj said. I'd have picked the exact same references (perhaps adding Ross Noble).

Their surreality is structured and has an internal logic which they build on.

So it's a good idea to try some surreal material but it needs to be a bit more than just throwing a load of weird stuff together.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ June 9 2011, 3:16 PM BST

Have you thought about working behind the bar in the comedy club?

I would ... Except I am only 15 years of age!!!

Then what you need to do is stay within your age group and put together stuff that people of your own age can relate too.
As an adult I find that the 'In betweeners' goes over my head, but by all accounts it is hilarious.
I think you'll find on this site that the average age is too high to give you feedback for material aimed at a younger audience.
What you're writing may split the sides of a younger audience but on this site its more likely to give people a stiff neck.
Keep it up, learn as you go and never get discouraged by the thoughts of others, if you're happy doing it then its your life so do what you want kid!

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ June 9 2011, 5:17 PM BST

Then what you need to do is stay within your age group and put together stuff that people of your own age can relate too.
As an adult I find that the 'In betweeners' goes over my head, but by all accounts it is hilarious.
I think you'll find on this site that the average age is too high to give you feedback for material aimed at a younger audience.
What you're writing may split the sides of a younger audience but on this site its more likely to give people a stiff neck.
Keep it up, learn as you go and never get discouraged by the thoughts of others, if you're happy doing it then its your life so do what you want kid!

I think you're right! .. ... I'm just trying to come up with something different and original, that people can enjoy ... Thanks! I feel so inspired now!