BAFTA's going to fly us all out to New York...

http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2011/06/02/13396/write_your_way_to_new_york

sounded great until the £30 entry fee

I am sure some of these are similar to the TV 3 choices £1 a go, phone in quiz's.

They get so much money from the entry fees that only a small percentage goes to the winner

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ June 2 2011, 12:54 PM BST

sounded great until the £30 entry fee

I am sure some of these are similar to the TV 3 choices £1 a go, phone in quiz's.

They get so much money from the entry fees that only a small percentage goes to the winner

The dastards!

Still not bad if you've got something you believe in... and £30.

You get professional feedback which usually costs £40+

Hi there - Rocliffe here.

I can assure you this scheme is not meant to be a way of taking advantage of writers but we do appreciate that not everyone can afford to cover the entry fee.

This is a short docu about our London Event which gives you a great insight into the event and how it works. http://video.bafta.org/services/player/bcpid601325186001?bckey=AQ~~,AAAABxWZS7k~,uLPjGIDNpTmMdurNjyFkV6rYlN-J6re3&bctid=750071506001

If you have any queries please feel free to drop us a line at scripts@rocliffe.com

Good luck all

Rocliffe

Quote: Rocliffe Forum @ June 3 2011, 12:18 PM BST

Hi there - Rocliffe here.

I can assure you this scheme is not meant to be a way of taking advantage of writers but we do appreciate that not everyone can afford to cover the entry fee.

This is a short docu about our London Event which gives you a great insight into the event and how it works. http://video.bafta.org/services/player/bcpid601325186001?bckey=AQ~~,AAAABxWZS7k~,uLPjGIDNpTmMdurNjyFkV6rYlN-J6re3&bctid=750071506001

If you have any queries please feel free to drop us a line at scripts@rocliffe.com

Good luck all

Rocliffe

I was only messing. I've been letting all my writer friends know about it, and we think it's a great opportunity. It's just a shame that I won't be able to have anything ready in time. Do you think you'll be running it again next year?

Oh thank you that's great to hear.

I don't know about next year. It will of course depend on funding but if we get some fantastic writers applying which we know are out there.

Everyone is very excited about it.

It does sound interesting and worth a go. Just to be clear, they want a ten-page extract, right, not a self-contained ten-minute story?

EDIT: I'm fairly new to the boards but is it normal to mention an organisation and have a representative turn up? Does it work with TV producers? I must say what a big fan I am of Big Talk productions...

Quote: evan rubivellian @ June 3 2011, 6:30 PM BST

It does sound interesting and worth a go. Just to be clear, they want a ten-page extract, right, not a self-contained ten-minute story?

EDIT: I'm fairly new to the boards but is it normal to mention an organisation and have a representative turn up? Does it work with TV producers? I must say what a big fan I am of Big Talk productions...

Yup, just an extract. There's two potential things I could send, the hardest bit being deciding what to send. Probably the script that wasn't ready in time for Sitcom mission.

As ContainsNuts put it, at least you're getting feedback too, at a price lower than you'd normally pay :)

As for organisations turning up, sometimes they do with forums. I'm sure there's NewsJack bods here too, though that's possibly because a number of BCG members are regular contributors.

Quote: Feeoree @ June 3 2011, 10:20 PM BST

Yup, just an extract. There's two potential things I could send, the hardest bit being deciding what to send. Probably the script that wasn't ready in time for Sitcom mission.

As ContainsNuts put it, at least you're getting feedback too, at a price lower than you'd normally pay :)

I suppose it's good of them to give feedback, but who really follows it? You could just submit your work on this forum if you just want to be critiqued (Ok, it may not be from pros).

This seems like a good opportunity.

It does seem heavily geared towards the sitcom writer though. Although they accept sketches, I think when you look at terms & conditions, a lot of the stuff is not that relevant to sketch shows. The script you're submitting needs to be 10 minutes long for a start...that is one very long sketch. Also they want a treatment or outline of how the series would develop, sample story lines that will be told in your series, character breakdown of main characters...

I don't have a sitcom idea ready to go, or the time to write one for this deadline, although I do have a catalogue of sketches. I just get the feeling that submitting a sketch and actually trying to pitch a sketch show (never a good idea for a new writer anyway) is waste of time when this is more obviously aimed at the sitcom writer.

Any thoughts?

Seems interesting to me but I'd like to know how valuable the feedback would realistically be for a ten minute extract of a 30 minute sitcom. Obviously they'd be able to judge whether or not you can write and make comments on you gag rate etc on this basis. But surely it's going to be harder to provide a true and accurate analysis of plot development, character analysis and indeed the overall idea - and isn't that what matters most to us wannabe sitcom writers? Could you give more details of the type of feedback intended please, if possible? First time poster, long time voyeur by the way.

So I've got a sitcom for them but I'm not sure whether to send the first 10 pages or an extract from the middle. Any advice anyone?

The reason I would consider sending an extract is because there are more gags per minute by that stage - but I'm concerned the plot wouldn't stand up as well without the beginning.

Quote: DrVole @ June 8 2011, 8:21 PM BST

So I've got a sitcom for them but I'm not sure whether to send the first 10 pages or an extract from the middle. Any advice anyone?

The reason I would consider sending an extract is because there are more gags per minute by that stage - but I'm concerned the plot wouldn't stand up as well without the beginning.

Among the materials you have to send is an introduction (of I think 100 words) specifically for the 10 page extract so you have the opportunity to set up what has happened before if you choose to send an extract from the middle. Just send whatever you think will make the best impression without confusing the readers.

I would send the first ten. Plot and character are more vital than gag-rate, in my opinion. Obviously, if your middle extract has more gags, you need to put more gags into the first 10! ;)

Dan