Brokeback Britain Show looking for sketch material

BROKEBACK BRITAIN THE SKETCH SHOW

Writers Guidelines
DEADLINE: Monday 4th July

"Brokeback Britain" is a one-hour sketch show. It will be staged at the Etcetera Theatre as part of the Camden Fringe Festival in the second week of August.
It's about the state of Britain todayu. A nation in the biggest debt of its history. Beset by cuts, coalitions, celebrity culture and even things that don't begin with "C". Like tweeting and binge drinking.
So we're looking for topical stuff with an edge. Social as well as political. Especially fresh subject matter, or new angles on well-worn themes. Above all it needs to be funny.
Our actors are very talented but they are not impressionists. So we'll be keeping stuff demanding brilliant impersonations of Cameron, Clegg or Milliband to a minimum. Try to think of less well-known or unknown characters. Rather than Dave & Nick debating an issue, how about its impact on ordinary people? Of course, if you do have a brilliant idea featuring our beloved leaders, send it in.
Sketches should be no mmore than 3 minutes. It's for the stage so keep settings and staging simple. A cast of no more than 4 for each sketch. Make sure your subject matter will still be fresh in 8 weeks time.
We're happy to look at songs. Write them to the tune of a well-known musical or pop classic.

FORMAT
·SEND AS A WORD DOCUMENT OR AS A PDF [NOT doc.x]
·TAG YOUR DOCUMENT WITH YOUR NAME, SKETCH TITLE & DATE
·ACTUAL FORMAT SHOULD READ ONE MINUTE PER PAGE
·SKETCH LENGTH - NOTHING LONGER THAN 3 MINUTES
·SUBMIT EACH SKETCH AS A SEPARATE DOCUMENT. YOU CAN SEND AS MANY AS YOU LIKE.

Send sketches to either
tonykirwood@hotmail.com or eamon@waitrose.com

Check us out on: http://www.camdenfringe.info/index.php?id=3&displaydate=2011-08-09

Will I be paid anything?
Sorry. No.

Will my name feature anywhere?
We will endeavour to credit all participants in our programme.

Can I stop you altering my sketch?
No. We have final edit. You will retain sole credit.

Hi Tony

I might well submit as I have plenty of topical sketches on the go at the moment.

A couple more questions...

Will writers get a free (or reduced) ticket to the show?

Will you be telling writers what material is in the show (roughly at least) before it's on?

Thanks and all the best for the show.

David.

Knowing Tony, you'll definitely know if your sketches are to be included. He usually gets back to you for rewrites anyway, so you'll find out that way.

Dan

David - sorry, we can't give writers ticket discounts. We will let you know if you get something on.

Cheers

Tony

Tony's a fine man and this should be a good opportunity. I'll certainly have a go at this one.

I'll have a crack at this one too. Will people with stuff in who are not able to go be able to get a programme directly from you Tony?

I've just sent a short sketch, hope it's successful. It's the first time I've submitted any of my work anywhere, I guess I'll be sitting refreshing my email inbox every 5 minutes for the next 2 weeks.

In answer to Blahblah - in principle, we'd be happy to send programmes out to people with stuff in the show. But I don't want to make any rash promises...
Tony

Just sent some stuff in. Good luck to the others who've sent stuff in

Likewise, some of our finest winging its way Camden-wards.

Good luck everyone, unless you've written a sketch on the same theme as us.

I sent a lot of sketches as docx and had to resend them as doc. Hope that didn't annoy them

Luckily I'm still living in 2003(*) so don't even had the option of sending things in docx

(*) Probably closer to 1997 to be honest but thought sending it in on floppy disk might not help our cause.

Yeah, I sent some stuff too.

Dan

Not heard anything re: sketch contributions but this is on Tue 9th and Wed 10th of August. I'll probably go along.

http://www.camdenfringe.com/index.php?id=3&displaydate=2011-08-09

Dan

Ah, was about to ask if anyone had heard anything but I'm going to take that silence as a no. As it's fairly local will probably wonder along.