Extras Christmas Special Page 5

Quote: Aaron @ December 27, 2007, 11:24 PM

If it wasn't clear from the programme, me telling you isn't going to be any help.

Thanks for that.

I can see different messages there for writers but I'm wondering which ones you are referring to/picked up.

Yes, Mark, I will be checking out the two series of Extras on DVD.

Actually, I didn't get into The Office until the specials, either! I had turned off episode 1 twice during repeats, but one Christmas I ended up watching the specials when they were broadcast, and liked them so much I made the effort to watch the two series on DVD.

As others have already said, there were a couple of laugh out loud lines although the only one that springs to mind is 'hepatitis A list'. The problem I've always had with 'Extras' is that it's 'The Office' in different guise. So many actions and reactions by Andy Millman are those of David Brent and the same goes for the supporting cast too.

I absolutely adored the Carphone Warehouse scene which I think was comedy gold and the only time I thought anything worthwile about the acting ability of Dean Gaffney.

Although there were some nice moments of pathos (albeit worringly stretched to 90 minutes) I am still unconvinced that 'Rickey' - as some like to refer to him now - is anything other than a one trick pony. Credit where credit is due though because in fairness that pony really does well but that doesn't make 'Ricky' a comedy God. Stephen Merchant on the otherhand offers up something more and his understated acting really had me in stitches.

The fact is I couldn't seperate Millman from Bent and in the end all that was needed was for Millman to do a funny little jig inside the Big Brother house.

For comedy gold look to classic Christmas comedy like 'Fools and Horses' at its peak. For comedy fools gold, however, there's always 'Extras'.

Sorry, but to the comments that suggest that Ricky Gervais is being hypocritical in this episode can I remind you that this wasn't actually Ricky Gervais in the programme but a character. So he has every right to say what he likes about the industry. Its not necessarily Ricky's real opinion as Andy doesn't want any more to do with TV while Ricky is starring in a new Hollywood film and planning a new TV one so its clear there is a difference.

Jack Dee hates reality tv but has been on celeb big brother, you are not a hypocrite if you change your opinion about something either. You've just learnt something different. Just like Millman did. I thought it was a good end to the show.

Quote: Tim Faithfull @ December 28, 2007, 1:24 AM

The advert was an NSPCC fundraising campaign in 2005.

Repeated ad nauseam.

Quote: Ben Ripley @ December 28, 2007, 8:27 AM

It was good, but I did find Ricky's constant lambasting of other comedy styles a little tedious and rather supercilious. His point was being hammered home just a tad too heavily.

Y'know, I didn't really pick it up in quite the same way as that (more in terms of writing and personal aims than comedy styles), but you're right. "Methinks the lady doth protest too much" kinda thing.

Quote: Mark @ December 28, 2007, 2:37 PM

To an extent I'd agree. I don't want to take this off-topic though so check out the long discussion here: https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/4142

That 'official' definition is a load of bollocks.

what a brilliant end to extras great bitter sweet comedy. :P

Quote: ContainsNuts @ December 28, 2007, 2:45 PM

Thanks for that.

I can see different messages there for writers but I'm wondering which ones you are referring to/picked up.

Mainly the implication that, particularly at the start of one's career, one has the choice of being successful, or writing exactly as one wants to, with the crossover being increasingly rare.

Absolutely spot on. The highlight of Christmas 2007.

Quote: Baumski @ December 28, 2007, 2:53 PM

The problem I've always had with 'Extras' is that it's 'The Office' in different guise.

This is spot on, and something I said right from the first episode of series one. It has, IMO, grown a little, but essentially Andy is just David, but toned down a bit and the emphasis skewed slightly.

Quote: Baumski @ December 28, 2007, 2:53 PM

I am still unconvinced that 'Rickey' - as some like to refer to him now - is anything other than a one trick pony. Credit where credit is due though because in fairness that pony really does well but that doesn't make 'Ricky' a comedy God. Stephen Merchant on the otherhand offers up something more and his understated acting really had me in stitches.

Spot on, again. There's so little difference between Extras/Andy and The Office/David (as noted above), that they're almost the same entity in some ways. Whilst the dramatic aspects of the Extras special were very good indeed, there's not yet been enough variety in his work to convinvce me he's got enough range to make up any further tricks. And the 'comedy God' label is just ridiculous either way.

Anyway, IMO Merchant is the shining star of that particular duo, and doesn't come across as a self-centred tit when appearing in person.

I hadnt watched hardly any of the actual series, but decided to watch the special and thoroughly enjoyed it. It made me laugh, but in poignant ways. Very glad I watched it in the end.

Quote: Aaron @ December 28, 2007, 3:28 PM

Spot on, again. There's so little difference between Extras/Andy and The Office/David (as noted above), that they're almost the same entity in some ways.

I disagree, I think after listening to many hours of the podcasts, there is little difference between Ricky and Andy, whereas David is easily distinguishable as a different character, note the little goatee :P

I do think though that David and Andy are different, not much, but enough to stand them side by side as two different characters.

Haven't had chance to read entire thread but I guess we are reviewing 'en masse'.

It was a little dark at times and really the plot was unremarkable in it's predictability. However, that said the writing was at a standard to be expected from these guys. It is comedy of it's time. The acting was superb and Gervais in particular can simply stand or sit in a scene with nothing in his hands and not look awkward, that ain't easy for a comedian. I can't wait to see their serious stuff, forgive me for this but they are almost the Dickens of their time. Yes it felt real and yes I felt sad at times but hey the Carphone Warehouse scenes were just so worthy of this Christmas Special.

The last episode / special was in many ways quite remarkable, inasmuch as it wasn't really a comedy at all. It inhabited a fairly dark place but it had some nice humorous moments.

I think RG is a talented actor when he moves outside his comfort zone and the script that both he and Merchant crafted here was in its own way a mini classic.

It was a nice way to finish the run. I know there is a school of thought that says Millman and Brent are one and the same but IMO they aren't at all. Sure they look the same, give or take a goatee, they have similar mannerisms too but the motivations and depths (or shallows in Brent's case) are quite different.

Nailing my own colours to the mast. I have enjoyed all of The Office and Extras and I look forward to the next work that Gervais and Merchant produce.

Quote: Aaron @ December 28, 2007, 3:14 PM

Mainly the implication that, particularly at the start of one's career, one has the choice of being successful, or writing exactly as one wants to, with the crossover being increasingly rare.

Well that is the main theme of the whole second series too, not just this episode. That battle between writing for yourself or for popularity. It would be great to believe that we would all do what we wanted but I guess most of us wannabe writers are already doing jobs that we don't 100% enjoy in the work arena so it might not be that easy. And I believe I wouldn't succume to the golden carrot, I'm just aware of why people do.

As for Brent and Millman crossing over in character. That is spot on. In fact there is a bit of Brent in most of Ricky's acting. Look at the scene with the journalist and the PA (Maggie), that was Brent at his best.

regarding the similarity of brent and milman, i think it comes down to poor range of acting skills. Ricky played similar styles in night at the museum and stardust as well.

Stephen Merchant always steels the show for me.