Not Going Out - Series 2 Page 43

Yes! Phew. It was a bit blurry, but I'm easily pleased.

Quote: David H @ December 22, 2007, 10:19 AM

One word sprang to mind - rushed.

It looked like they'd opened the Christmas crackers too early with some of the jokes. There is no chemistry with any of the couples they have on the show. Tim's dad having an isolated go at him and then another isolated go at him does not convince people that they have a father/son relationship. It needs to be built up like in the pilot of Frasier. They don't build from the ground up in NGO, a bit of character is just tagged on at the end.

Daisy is a prime example of a badly drawn character. She needs to say sensible things at times and then say daft things. If it's all daft, it's pointless. You only need look at Joey from Friends where he was great combining stupidity with normality. But make him daft for the whole episode like in Joey and it's too much.

I know Lee Mack wants jokes first, but if the jokes don't hit the mark you've got nothing because there is so little character. Seinfeld is character first. It has got to be.

Totally agree with that. I still really like this show and I want it to succeed so much because I think with a little tweeking it could become really really popular. Like you say the characters need developing a lot more and the focus should be on Lee and Tim and definitely ditch Miranda Hart next series...please.

If I was in control of NGO, I would have Lee and Lucy almost about to hook up but then Tim ends up moving into the flat, so then Lee and Lucy back off. Then Lucy and Lee can have an endless string of meaningless relationships that lead to hilarity (like in Seinfeld, Jerry, George and Elaine had like a different bf/gf every episode!), but the true underlining bond is always between Lucy and Lee and you play off that for how ever many series you do. Just don't over-egg it, let it fade into the background so that people aren't saying "just bloody kiss and get it over with"...have it so it's always in the backs of peoples minds and when the time eventually comes for them to get together, then really start pushing it.

But I suppose it's easy for me to say that as I'm not an established writer in charge of a hit sitcom. :)

I haven't watched many episodes of NGO mainly because it simply hasn't grabbed my attention. I watched the Christmas episode because of the enthusiasm that has been shown in this thread but still I don't get it. It is like a round peg trying to fit in a square hole. We are desperate for a UK popular sitcom and it's almost like we are trying to make this one fit. I agree with comments made by David H, the relationships aren't believable, they need time and situations to develop. Where's the poignancy, I don't yet feel bothered that the main character doesn't get the girl. We need to really like the characters to start to care.

As ever I enjoyed it and it will probably be one of the better Xmas specials. There were flaws though. Firstly, it definitely felt rushed and there was too much to cram in. About 10 minutes in, I genuinely wondered if the show was going to be more than half an hour long and had to check the TV guide (honestly).

Tim was hardly in it. I know he can't be central in every episode, but he seemed a peripheral figure in this one. As everybody says, the dynamic between Tim and Lee is what really makes the show, and this just wasn't exploited enough.

I'm trying to like Miranda Hart but she just gets in the way and is too slapstick for a comedy that should be more subtle than that. The only thing I like is the fact she knows Lee has a soft spot for Lucy, but that's it really.

With regards to the Lee/Lucy thing, I think as soon as they hit it off, then there's no point writing anymore episodes. For example, Frasier and OFAH suffered from it, Seinfeld wisely didn't get Jerry and Elaine back together, and Just Good Friends finished at the right point. The longer it simmers, the better it will work.

Still some great lines - loved the one about carrying Thora Hird up the stairs! Looking forward to the next series. :D

i really like this show, and it is interesting to read the posts.
my concerns are that the characters are turning into one joke characters...
tim is a bit effeminate.
the cleaner breaks things.
daisy misunderstands things.
lee is a bit rough and pervy.

every time a gag is made it seems to relate to that character's specific failing.
still very funny though. i wanted it to go on longer.

Is calling them Tim and Daisy a tribute to Spaced, or is it just a coincidence?

And have I in fact asked this already?

*reads through entire thread again*

I havn't read all the posts here, but to add my 2 pennorth,,,,

The second series was a mile away from the first one. It did have a bit of a storyline (?!")

The first series was just a string of one liners,,, good, bad or indifferent.

The second followed a bit of a story,,,, otherwise it would have just been like any 'stand-up' show.

To me tho', it's just another 'filler',,, not good, not bad,,,, but watchable.

I missed the 'Special',,,,, anyone know if it'll be repeated ?

Great Forum

Quote: zooo @ December 22, 2007, 8:05 PM

Is calling them Tim and Daisy a tribute to Spaced, or is it just a coincidence?

And have I in fact asked this already?

*reads through entire thread again*

Tim's called Tim because his name is Tim.

Yes, but they could have called Daisy anything.
Is my point. :)

Hello Furkin. Welcome. I think really I prefer series one to two, on balance.

Anyway.

Just FYI, Paramount 2 will be showing Not Going Out (I assume starting with series one) from Friday 8th February 2008.

Quote: Aaron @ December 22, 2007, 10:15 PM

Hello Furkin. Welcome. I think really I prefer series one to two, on balance.

Anyway.

Just FYI, Paramount 2 will be showing Not Going Out (I assume starting with series one) from Friday 8th February 2008.

That's good because you can't see repeats of NGO anywhere but Two Pints seems to be on 3 million times a week!

Watched last night and thought it was ok. Will probably be funnier when I watch it again. Have got the DVD of series one and all the 2nd series on sky plus and for me the best episodes are the first couple on series one which I think are superb. Agree that Tim needs to be more central to the episodes. I quite like the cleaner and laughed out loud at her 'F*ck off' reply last night!
Roll on series 3!!!

Stan

Two pints is poor, very poor.

Quote: Ray Dawson @ December 22, 2007, 11:23 PM

Two pints is poor, very poor.

And yet it gets repeated all the time! Oh for some repeats of The Goodies!

Anyway back on topic, glad that NGO's ratings are on an upward trajectory and pleased it will be back for a new series.

As for the comparisons with Seinfeld, that show is interesting in that characters never really grew and stayed pretty much the same way from start to finish. They didn't really explore their characters on the show but they all had character. I think we're so used to seeing quick scatter gun approach comedy on US sitcoms that when the British do it it feels alien.

I think NGO should carry on doing what it's doing but change the dynamic of the show, Tim seems surplus to requirements the way it's written at the moment.

Thanks for the welcome Aaron,

This is a great & informative site.

Thanks for the info re repeated NGO, but as I only have Freeview, it looks like i've either missed out or have to wait for re-runs.

On to '2 Pints' - I thought it was good at the outset,,,, & possibly was throughout (if you like that sort of thing Huh? ) ). As other people say, there are far too many reapeats, on several channels even just on Freeview. It can be so confusing if you are trying to follow a storyline.

Got to go - lots more threads to get through,,,,,,,,,,,