Is The Office the last classic comedy... Page 2

She could have, if her show was rubbish.

All this fat and female stuff is nonsense.

It's a fantastic show because it's bloody well written and bloody damned funny.

End of!

So bitter, Alfred!

If only you'd been fat, female, Jewish, rich, er, oh and gay! You could have been so successful.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ April 5 2011, 10:12 PM BST

Yes, plus she's a large woman who knows that the public loves a fat bird who makes fun out of herself. It makes a lot of female viewers feel happier about their own weight problems, it sort of confirms the myth that fat women have bubblier personalities, and it is a very sure way to become popular in Britain, as evidenced by the rabidly popular Dawn French before her. The formula - be fat, funny and female and you cannot fail on British TV. Miranda cannot go wrong now.

If that was the case, British TV would be bulging at the seams with Funny Fat Women Sitcoms and the UK's funny women would be eating their way to success. It's not and they're not.

There's probably about 3 fat women on TV.
In the world.

To say Miranda Hart has become popular and successful basically because she's a 'big woman' is pretty much bollocks to be honest.

Apart from anything else, the show's first incarnation - Miranda Hart's Joke Shop - was on the radio! The fact you couldn't see her waistline didn't seem to stop the BBC thinking the show was good enough to be transferred to TV.

Totally disrespectful to - from what I've seen is - a very decent, very talented young woman.

And not actually fat!

Anyway. Let's put that to rest now, shall we? :)

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 5 2011, 9:52 PM BST

It really, really won't.

Sorry Matt.

I just have to disagree. I enjoyed The Office, but I genuinely believe that it won't endure. You need to remember that you're talking to comedy afficionados in this forum.

In general conversation, I rarely ever hear The Office mentioned these days. It had a limited shelf life, and as far as most people are concerned it's a bargain bucket job.

The US version is appalling, and with hindsight, the Gervais original wasn't much better. It was a comedy for its time, and these days it's too many people's reality - working for a dickhead of a boss.

That's why I don't think it'll endure.

Having said that, I did enjoy it when it first aired, but I wouldn't go out of my way to watch it again. It isn't the masterclass people seemed to think at the time. It was formulaic, and it worked in its day - it's by no means a classic though.

Classics often aren't recognised until long after they've faded away. Can't see The Office being revered in five years time, let alone fifty.

I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

Skoob.

Quote: buyon ferry @ April 5 2011, 8:40 PM BST

...to come out of Britain?

No. Your original question has a fatal flaw.

Quote: chipolata @ April 5 2011, 10:23 PM BST

If that was the case, British TV would be bulging at the seams with Funny Fat Women Sitcoms and the UK's funny women would be eating their way to success. It's not and they're not.

But there aren't many women who can get their sitcoms commissioned still. Of the few that do, nearly all of them are fat! Wood, French, Saunders (not slim), Wax, Hart. And they all had comedy careers already. That's a high ratio of fatness to female sitcom star.

It can't be long before the Brands get their own sitcoms, doing basically the same stuff as the others, mostly making fun out of their weight and their addiction to food. The one or two that don't are usually making comedy out of sex, exploiting the other main stereotypical female vice.

Hello Aaron.

I wouldn't go so far as to describe the flaw as "fatal"

Probably mentioning The Office in the same sentence as the words "classic" and "comedy" were a form of Hara Kiri, but the person has a point.

As I said - as long as we have people - we'll have classic comedy.

Take the wife and I...

Just kiddin' Whistling nnocently

Skoob

Quote: Skoob @ April 5 2011, 11:10 PM BST

I wouldn't go so far as to describe the flaw as "fatal"

I dunno, using a false milestone by which to pose a question is a pretty fatal start! ;)

The consensus is that The Office is a classic. Some might disagree, but they're in the minority.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ April 5 2011, 11:07 PM BST

But there aren't many women who can get their sitcoms commissioned still. Of the few that do, nearly all of them are fat! Wood, French, Saunders (not slim), Wax, Hart. And they all had comedy careers already. That's a high ratio of fatness to female sitcom star.

It can't be long before the Brands get their own sitcoms, doing basically the same stuff as the others, mostly making fun out of their weight and their addiction to food. The one or two that don't are usually making comedy out of sex, exploiting the other main stereotypical female vice.

You do talk a lot of old baseless claptrap.

Only on this forum Chip.

Most have forgotten already.

Mention it these days and it generates zero enthusiasm.

Skoob.