Is The Office the last classic comedy... Page 5

Quote: TopBanana @ April 6 2011, 1:12 PM BST

The IT Crowd is a classic. I'm sure when it ends it will be looked upon with the sort of goodwill as Father Ted and Black Books are these days. The 'Gay!' episode is the best UK sitcom, err, episode since the one from The Office where Brent gets sacked (IMO). Peep Show is another contender.

For me The IT Crowd is too inconsistent to be a classic. The quality varies wildly from series to series.

I disagree, but I can see that some episodes are better than others. The excellent ones are as good as anything you'll see.

Quote: TopBanana @ April 6 2011, 1:29 PM BST

I disagree, but I can see that some episodes are better than others. The excellent ones are as good as anything you'll see.

ALL the episodes need to be perfect(ish) otherwise the word "classic" becomes meaningless. And as much as I like IT, there's been some clunkers.

Fair point. There has been lots of classic eps of IT Crowd.

Whether or not every episode is 'perfect', I do think The IT Crowd is one of those shows that a lot of people love, and will still be watched and fondly remembered long after it's finished. So I think, in that respect, you could call it a 'classic'.

Actually, Black Books finished after The Office, so I'll put that up too.

Yeah, if C4 did a 'Peep Show Night' I'm sure they could do an 'IT Crowd Night'.

The series is on a constant loop on More4 on Sunday nights, so it must still pull in the viewers.

Stott should disclaim (/brag ;)) at this point that he's involved with the writing of the next series.

I think Peep Show is easily as good as The Office. It's the current contemporary classic.

There. That was worth typing.

Quote: Aaron @ April 6 2011, 3:24 PM BST

Stott should disclaim (/brag ;)) at this point that he's involved with the writing of the next series.

:O

Fo' sho'?

I do enjoy The IT Crowd, but I think it's extremely generous to label it as a classic, mainly for the reason Chipolata posted at the top of this page.

I don't think The IT Crowd will date as much as most sitcoms generally do. Father Ted would still be a hit if it was to be recorded now as a new sitcom (i.e. with the same scripts).

But, The Office I feel will date. That kind of 'awkward/cringe' comedy will run its course....if it hasn't already. Maybe the success of Miranda (& The IT Crowd) will start a return to genuine studio-based silly sitcoms?

Good point! I knew there was a reason I didn't get on with The Office, but I hadn't seen it enough to remember what it was.

I liked Extras though. I think Psychoville's my favourite of the more recent stuff, off the top of my head.

No, it's Mongrels. You heard it here first.

And last.

This thread's degenerated into people just naming sitcoms they've quite liked with little thought for what "classic" actually means. You people! Griff's been proved right. :(